cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i Kit Lens Upgrade Recommendation

mrkblm
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T7i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm IS STM Kit Lens.  I primarily shoot landscapes so stay in the lower focal range less than 55mm.  I'm wondering if there is a better zoom lens for this camera that will provide sharper images and overall better quality than this kit lens.  I know lenses exist that are not L series, but I dont know if their image quality will be the same or better.  Can anyone make a recommendation whether canon or another brand?

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is wrong, or lacking, with your current landscape shots that make you feel that you need a new, or "better", lens?

I like to shoot landscapes, too.  I like to use a full frame 6D, and an EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens.  It is a super wide angle zoom.  There are two EF-S lenses that offer a similar angle of view with your T7i.  They are the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens, and the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens.  

But, before you go out buying new lenses, it is usually a good idea to critique your shooting technique.  More times than not, bad photos are the result of bad technique.  The most common problems are associated with exposure settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mrkblm wrote:

I have an EOS Rebel T7i DSLR Camera with 18-135mm IS STM Kit Lens.  I primarily shoot landscapes so stay in the lower focal range less than 55mm.  I'm wondering if there is a better zoom lens for this camera that will provide sharper images and overall better quality than this kit lens.  I know lenses exist that are not L series, but I dont know if their image quality will be the same or better.  Can anyone make a recommendation whether canon or another brand?

The generally accepted standard in your desired focal range is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It's not an "L" lens, but is of nearly as good quality. Canon seems to restrict the "L" designation to top quality lenses that also fit their "EF" (not just EF-S) lens mount.

All that said, Canon's relatively new line of STM lenses (named for the "stepping motor" used by their autofocus system) also have a very good reputation. So while the 17-55 may provide slightly better image quality, whether you actually need it or not is something you should carefully consider before making a purchase.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I also recommend the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Top choice!  But for a different reason.  Its best attribute is the constant fast aperture of f2.8.  To me this is most important. Another lens you may want to consider is the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM.

Another lens I really like is the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM.  Again it has that fast constant aperture.  Put this one on your camera and you won't take it off very often.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"But, before you go out buying new lenses, ..."

Sometimes you just want a new lens.  It just makes you happy, new toy to play with, and that is reason enough in my book.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"But, before you go out buying new lenses, ..."

Sometimes you just want a new lens.  It just makes you happy, new toy to play with, and that is reason enough in my book.

Says the guy with more lenses than football players on a football field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is wrong, or lacking, with your current landscape shots that make you feel that you need a new, or "better", lens?

But, before you go out buying new lenses, it is usually a good idea to critique your shooting technique.  More times than not, bad photos are the result of bad technique.  The most common problems are associated with exposure settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts as well.

I used to have the Canon 600D and I used the 18-135 and the 18-200 at times. I loved both of those lenses. Image quality and versatility were great.

And I agree with the comment above....sometimes you just want a new lens. While this may be true, your image quality isn't going to improve by much.....if any.

Given your current equipment, if you want better pictures then you need to become a better photgrapher.

"...your image quality isn't going to improve by much..."

Sometimes that is not the goal.  As hard as that may be for some to understand, it is true.

EB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

Sometimes that is not the goal.  As hard as that may be for some to understand,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, it appears that is the goal in this case.   Smiley Wink

Spoiler

"However, it appears that is the goal in this case."

However it is, in response to this..........

"Sometimes you just want a new lens.  It just makes you happy, new toy to play with, and that is reason enough in my book."

EB
Announcements