cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i camera completely locking up in the ON position?

bigguy841
Apprentice

I have had my Canon T4i for about 4 months now, use ita few times a week as a hobby. Every couple weeks I will turn on the camera and adjust the Ap/Sh/ISO settings to prepare for a shoot and the camera will just freeze or lock up in the spot. None of the buttons or dials trigger any sort of response from the camera and I am not able to take a picture or do anything. Even turning th camera to the 'OFF' position does nothing and the camera remains on with the LCD still lit up but not responding. The only way I am able to get the camera working again is to remove the battery and then put it back in and power it up, at which point it usually works normally. The only time I've had this happen more than once in a day was over Thanksgiving when it happened about 3-4 times throughout the day.

I contacted Canon support and was told to first try resetting the camera to default settings, which I did, and if that doesn't work to remove the battery and memory cards and using a pencil eraser to clean off the contact surfaces of those items, which I have not done yet. If it continues to happen, I am supposed to send it in to let them inspect it and decide if if needs repair or replacement. Since it seems random and spread out, it's hard to say whether it's 'fixed' since it did it last week before I re-set the settings.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you do either of those methods to solve it? If you sent it in, were they able to determine the problem and handle it? I don't want to send it in and be without my camera for weeks only for them to tell me it worked fine for them and there is no problem, since it works fine 98% of the time as of now.

Any help would be great!

40 REPLIES 40

Canon has listened and corrected the issue with my camera. Through all of this I must say that Canons phone support folks have always been best in class IMHO, US based and focused on the customer.
Thank you Canon for resolving my issue and renewing my loyalty!

Bob

"Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do."

Yes, I had noticed the red light flashing as well when changing from AF to MF or vice versa.  Even with the power OFF.  I thought it was strange.

@junenward wrote:

Yes, I had noticed the red light flashing as well when changing from AF to MF or vice versa.  Even with the power OFF.  I thought it was strange.

About the red LED flashing with the camera OFF it appears now to be a normal behaviour with the STM lenses since I verified that it also occures on the Newer T5i models and I was at a trade show where Canon was present and verified it on the T4i that he had at the booth as well. Most likely not related to the lock up issue.

junenward
Contributor

I've had the same issue.  Purchased the camera late last fall and this has happened on several different occasions.  Only solution as with others who have experienced this is to remove the battery and re-install it.  Meanwhile your photo opportunity has gone. 

Has Canon determined a cause yet.  Nothing from them as yet as an issue.

Jason
Whiz

Hi everyone,

We have an update on this topic.  New EOS Rebel T4i firmware has just been released.  Firmware Version 1.0.4 offers performance improvements when shooting with certain lens models equipped with a stepping motor.  To learn more and download the update, click here.

Thank you.

Strange I bought my T4i in December 2012,, it has the old firmware on it and never had this problem, then again...I never shoot in live mode anyway.

I would recommend updating your firmware, see below.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248090cddd

I am on vacation - first day of vacation - and my Canon Rebel T4i froze completely. None of the buttons respond and when I connect the camera to my laptop, the camera is not recognized.

I tried taking out the card and battery and restarting it. Nothing works.

Please help!

I called the support line and they are closed on the weekends.

I guess I was fortunate as removing the battery and re-installing fixed it for me.  One other possibility may be to remove the lense and then remove the batter and re-install it again.  I had noticed earlier that my red light flashes on me with lense changes.  Probably not related but worth a try since removing the battery didn't work by itself.

Downloading a software update doesn't help when my camera is not responding to anything.

Please help!

[Moderator Note:  Removed email address per forum guidelines]

Announcements