cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sometimes when I go to take a pic my flash doesn't pop up and gives me an error message

nphillips230
Apprentice

4 REPLIES 4

Shanna
Enthusiast

Hello nphillips230!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what camera you are using (EOS Rebel T5i, EOS 70D, PowerShot SX50 HS, etc.) and the error message being displayed by the camera. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

nphillips230
Apprentice
My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i . I can't get the error message to come back up but it does it every time I really need to take a pic, it seems like.

@nphillips230 wrote:
My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T2i . I can't get the error message to come back up but it does it every time I really need to take a pic, it seems like.

A fairly common problem on many Canon camera models is the micro switch in the hot shoe, getting stuck in the "down" position. The camera thinks there's something mounted in the hot shoe, so it refuses to pop up the flash and throws that error message.

If you go to this web page: http://www.conraderb.com/flashrepair/ and scroll down a little over halfway, he shows the switch location on a 60D. I don't have a T2i, but would guess your camera has similar. Most Canon models I've seen have this switch. Look under the "rail" of your hot shoe... you should see it on one side or the other.

That web page is showing you how to make a repair... how to replace the little peg that operates the switch. Quite likely you don't need to go to that length with your camera. What happens is the flat, spring steel right above the peg gets bent down too much and won't let the peg pop all the way back up (it's spring loaded). Often all that's necessary is to gently bend the spring steel back up slightly. That can be done with a precision screwdriver or even a wooden toothpick. Easy to try, to see if it fixes your flash.

Frankly, IMO an ever better solution is to just get an accessory flash and use that instead. One of my 7D's flash has stuck in the manner described above, as long as I've owned it (about 5 years now). I've never bothered fixing it because I don't use the built in flashes.

Built in flashes are weak and underpowered, draw power from the camera's main battery, and are located in the worst possible place for redeye and ugly shadows. An accessory flash... particularly if put on a flash bracket with an off-camera shoe cord... is much more powerful, has it's own power supply, and because it's higher and off to one side a little, reduces redeye and tends to throw shadows down and behind subjects. Makes for much nicer flash photos.

All the Canon flashes are very easy to use and would be a big improvment over the built in flash. One of those would be my recommendation... then you never have to worry about the error message again.

The only reason I know that happens with my 7D is because I get the error when I accidentally bump the flash release button... I have only ever used the camera with 550EX and 580EX II flashes.  There are times when the on-board flash is handy to have... but they are few and far between for me.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Do you hear some buzzing noises just before you get the error... or do you just get the error?

There are two issues.

(1) flash doesn't pop up because it thinks you have a flash (or other device) in the hot-shoe.

(2) flash doesn't pop up because it's stuck.

Alan's reply deals with problem (1) above.

But it's also possible that some dirt, dust, or sticky substance has worked it's way into the flash hinge and is preventing it from popping up.

The flash hinge has a spring and it always wants to pop up.  The only thing that keeps it down is a small catch-hook.  There's a tiny solinoid on that hook to release it and, once the hook is released, the flash will spring up.  But if anything is jamming the hinge, it'll stay down.  You'll hear the buzz sound of the solinoid releasing the catch, but the flash wont spring up as it should.

If this happens, you'd usually hear a buzzing sound (that's the solinoid) and the camera will try three times to pop up the flash... then present the error message.

To fix:

Next to the flash (on the front of the body, just a little left of the "EOS Rebel T2i" badge, there's a button with a lightning bolt on it.  That button releases the flash.  Push the button and WHILE you press the button and hear the solinoid buzz (meaning the catch hook has retracted), gently LIFT the flash (you may need to use your fingernail in the seam to help lift.)

Once the flash is up, you'll need to clean it.   Use a few drops of denatured alcohol on the hinge points and work the hinge (raise & lower the flash a few times to work in the alcohol).  DO NOT USE OIL.  Oil will only attract more dust.  The benefit of using an alcohol solvent is that it will evaporate and wont leave a sticky residue behind to attract more gunk.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements