cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower shutter in live view than in view finder

RachelStrickson
Apprentice

I've just bought a second hand 5D Mk iii and I've noticed when taking a picture through the view finder the shutter sounds significantly faster than if I'm taking it using live view.  Settings are the same in each.  Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on getting a great camera that a solid performer and is still capable of taking awesome photos.

That is logical. DSLR's are different from Mirrorless cameras.  When you put your 5DIII in live view mode it is essentially working as  Mirrorless camera, but it is working around its default nature as a camera with an optical and not electronic viewfinder.  Mirrorless cameras don't have mirrors or pentaprisms and that is the difference.

When you use the viewfinder the camera is bouncing the image you see off the mirror and makes the settings for taking the picture.  When you press the shutter, the mirror flips up the shutter opens and the sensor is exposed.

In live view mode, the mirror is up and the shutter is open.  When you make your settings those are stored in a buffer, then when you press the shutter, the mirror is already flipped up, then embarks on  process above : i.e. up, the shutter only has to close, then the aperture and shutter speed are set, and the shutter actuates.  In other words, shooting in optical view requires a whole extra shutter process.  However, the result is the same - the settings you make are applied and the extra shutter movements do not impact the exposure.

I don't know what kind of photography you do, but I would encourage you to use the viewfinder rather than the LCD panel at the back, for the reason that by putting the camera to your eye you are creating three points of contact - your two hands (one should be under the lens supporting the camera, while the other is on the controls) with your elbows tucked into your sides.  Using an LCD means you are holding the camera away from your body, creating an unstable cantilever that makes it more likely you will get camera shake, especially if you use unstabilized or longer lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The sound is different, but the shutter speed value will be exactly the same. The shutter only sounds faster because the mirror is already flipped up out of the way while in LiveView. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on getting a great camera that a solid performer and is still capable of taking awesome photos.

That is logical. DSLR's are different from Mirrorless cameras.  When you put your 5DIII in live view mode it is essentially working as  Mirrorless camera, but it is working around its default nature as a camera with an optical and not electronic viewfinder.  Mirrorless cameras don't have mirrors or pentaprisms and that is the difference.

When you use the viewfinder the camera is bouncing the image you see off the mirror and makes the settings for taking the picture.  When you press the shutter, the mirror flips up the shutter opens and the sensor is exposed.

In live view mode, the mirror is up and the shutter is open.  When you make your settings those are stored in a buffer, then when you press the shutter, the mirror is already flipped up, then embarks on  process above : i.e. up, the shutter only has to close, then the aperture and shutter speed are set, and the shutter actuates.  In other words, shooting in optical view requires a whole extra shutter process.  However, the result is the same - the settings you make are applied and the extra shutter movements do not impact the exposure.

I don't know what kind of photography you do, but I would encourage you to use the viewfinder rather than the LCD panel at the back, for the reason that by putting the camera to your eye you are creating three points of contact - your two hands (one should be under the lens supporting the camera, while the other is on the controls) with your elbows tucked into your sides.  Using an LCD means you are holding the camera away from your body, creating an unstable cantilever that makes it more likely you will get camera shake, especially if you use unstabilized or longer lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The sound is different, but the shutter speed value will be exactly the same. The shutter only sounds faster because the mirror is already flipped up out of the way while in LiveView. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements