cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 28-300mm Lens on a Canon 550D Auto Focus not working

jennlee
Apprentice

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 Aspherical IF Hyperzoom lens for my Canon 550D and the autofocus sometimes works, and sometimes just make a continuous motor grinding sound. 

Is this lens not suitable for my Canon 550D or will this be a lens AF issue? 

Thank you,

Irene

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jennlee wrote:

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 Aspherical IF Hyperzoom lens for my Canon 550D and the autofocus sometimes works, and sometimes just make a continuous motor grinding sound. 

Is this lens not suitable for my Canon 550D or will this be a lens AF issue? 

Thank you,

Irene

Get a refund.  Avoid by zooms that have such a wide focal range: 10:1.  Buy zooms that have a 4:1 range, or less.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response! Really appreciate it.

So it's not a faulty lens problem then? Just that I should avoid getting such a wide focal ranged lens? 

How about the 70-300mm? Will that be more suitable? 

@jennlee wrote:

Thank you for your response! Really appreciate it.

So it's not a faulty lens problem then? Just that I should avoid getting such a wide focal ranged lens? 

How about the 70-300mm? Will that be more suitable? 

Yes, and no, but mainly yes.  Some third party lenses do not focus as quickly as Canon lenses.  While a lens performs the work of focusing, it is the camera body that controls the lens.  Sometimes, though, even the best cameras need a little manual override help when making large changes in focal length.

Your photos will never be better than your lenses.  If you want high quality photos, then invest in at least one high quality lens. If you can afford it, I think you would llike a Canon 70-200mm f/4L, or any of its’ big brothers, better than just about a Sigma 70-300mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements