cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick Rebel T6 - repair or replace?

Boguespierre
Apprentice

My wife's T6 just stopped powering on the other day - it might have some water damage, as it got splashed while she was on a boat. When the battery is *fully* charged it shows Error 70 on the screen, but other than that it seems dead.

The Canon Service guy told me any repair would be $189 plus tax etc, but I suspect it may be more depending on the issue. Since this T6 is 3 years old (and has a small dead pixel dark spot which often appears in pictures), I am tempted to just buy a new body.

Opinions? Presumably there is something newer and better than the T6 in the same price range - I know it's just a starter DSLR.

We have a 9 year old Rebel XS which will keep us going for now - I think it is actually better made than the T6....

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon gave you an estimate for a camera that had gotten wet?  BTW, that estimate is way too low by half, IMHO. 

Older digital  Rebels from over a decade ago do seem to have been better built.  I have no idea what your budget for a new camera might be.  But, you might want to visit the Canon Online Refurbished Store, which offers a one year warranty on every camera and lens.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras#face... 

Take a look at some of the “body only” kits.  I think the 80D is the best bang for the buck camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Boguespierre wrote:

My wife's T6 just stopped powering on the other day - it might have some water damage, as it got splashed while she was on a boat. When the battery is *fully* charged it shows Error 70 on the screen, but other than that it seems dead.

The Canon Service guy told me any repair would be $189 plus tax etc, but I suspect it may be more depending on the issue. Since this T6 is 3 years old (and has a small dead pixel dark spot which often appears in pictures), I am tempted to just buy a new body.

Opinions? Presumably there is something newer and better than the T6 in the same price range - I know it's just a starter DSLR.

We have a 9 year old Rebel XS which will keep us going for now - I think it is actually better made than the T6....

It probably makes sense for now to assume that the camera is dead. But whether it comes back to life eventually may depend on whether the splashing was with fresh or salt water. Electronic devises sometimes recover from fresh water damage if given sufficient time to dry out. Those damaged by salt water rarely do.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...it might have some water damage, as it got splashed while she was on a boat."

You told Canon the T6 got wet and they still gave you a low ball estimate? Are you sure you mentioned it got wet?  IMHO, the best thing for you to do is sit it on a warm heating pad, not a hot one, a warm one and leave it for a week or so.  Leave any opening you can open.  No lens. No battery. No SD card and all doors open. Water and cameras do not fair well when mixed.

Again, IMHO, I would go buy a T7 in a heartbeat before I spent $200 bucks on a wet camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_
Authority

I think you received a lot of good advice and if you can live with that dead pixel perhaps the camera can be dried out and it will come back to life....with a dead pixel. It would be unwise to have it repaired and as mentioned it will most likely wind up costing way more than that "estimate", more than it is worth and very close or close enough to a new camera body.

Thanks all - input much appreciated. Pretty clear conclusion is that I'm not going to bother with the repair. My wife hasn't been very clear about just how wet the camera got, but it *was* sea-water, so I fear the worst.

So I will buy her a replacement body for Xmas - now need to decide whether 80D, T7 or other. Whether new or reconditioned? 

Looking at other posts, it seems wise to focus on a direct purchase from Canon or someone like B&H - lots of dodgy looking selleres on Amazon marketplace!

@Boguespierre wrote:

Thanks all - input much appreciated. Pretty clear conclusion is that I'm not going to bother with the repair. My wife hasn't been very clear about just how wet the camera got, but it *was* sea-water, so I fear the worst.

So I will buy her a replacement body for Xmas - now need to decide whether 80D, T7 or other. Whether new or reconditioned? 

Looking at other posts, it seems wise to focus on a direct purchase from Canon or someone like B&H - lots of dodgy looking selleres on Amazon marketplace!

If it got wet and died, it does not matter if it got damp, wet, or soaked.  It is ikeliy dead, and repairs will cost more than a replacement.  People would be happy to offer insights regarding what body might be best.  What would your budget be?  What types of photography does your wife do that would get a camera wet?

Your observation about the Amazon market place is spot on.  I have bought a few refurbished camera bodies and refurbished lenses direct from Canon.  I have never had a problem with the gear.  The only drawback is that it comes packed in a miscellaneous box, not the branded, labeled box you would get from a B&H.

Another drawback about the Canon Online Refurbished Store is that items are not always in stock.  I have learned that if I see something at an attractive price, JUMP ON IT.  It can be gone and out of stock in a day or two.  When you are ready to buy, the item will be out of stock for weeks at a time.  

Besides, why wait until Xmas?  She is missing opportunities to take photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

People would be happy to offer insights regarding what body might be best.  What would your budget be?  What types of photography does your wife do that would get a camera wet?

Besides, why wait until Xmas?  She is missing opportunities to take photos.

The budget is definitely within 3 figures, so it looks like an 80D body would be our top end. My wife takes a lot of sailing photos, so there is always a splash risk. I hear the 80D is more water resistant, but I'm assuming that is more a relative thing than an absolute. Now that sailing season is over for 2019 a lot of our snapshots are more than covered by our iPhones (hope that's not heretical...).

We can get by for a while on our 2011 model Rebel XS - quite serviceable.

"...lots of dodgy looking selleres on Amazon marketplace!"

It is not Amazon itself, itis the camera"kits" they offer.  Here is the word, they are junk. It really doesn't matter who offers those kits, do not buy one.

"... now need to decide whether 80D, T7 or other."

This is an odd choice, to me anyway.  These two models are so very different and far apart in their appeal and scope.  Beyond both have the ability to take a photo, they are a world different. Neither are water proof but that isn't a big problem. I have shot jobs in and around a hurricane with no damage to the camera/lens.

Check this out.

147.jpg

You may find some attractive deals in the 80D since the 90D has come out.  The last 80D has already been made. Personally I would look at the 90D even though it will not be on sale. 32 MP vs a nearly 4 year old 80D?  Yeah, go 90D. There just might be a sale for or by Christmas!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements