cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service for Gray Market EOS 90D?

CarlSGutekunst
Contributor

I accidentally purchased a gray market EOS 90D. (The serial number starts with 3030.) It's well out of warranty, has failed, and needs service. However, it appears Canon will only service camera bodies that are registered, and the website will not permit me to register a gray market body.

How do I get my 90D serviced? I talked with a reputable independent shop, and they can't service it because (they said) it's incompatible with their alignment software.

I see this same question was asked 8 years ago, but I think the situation has changed. Back then it was possible to send in a body for non-warranty repair without registering it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen

Hi there!

Please keep in mind that the Factory Service Center makes the final decision about whether or not to perform repairs on your gear. Since it's a gray market product, that means they may not be able to do certain things.

That being said, you can fill out THIS FORM, print it out, and send your camera for an evaluation.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Do you have any idea what the problem with the camera is?  What "has failed"?  

Check with B&H, Adroma or you can try goolge.  They have repair departments, or might be able to make a referral.

Refurb 90D's are $959 which is actually less than what LN- are selling for for KEH.

Canon Refurbished EOS 90D Camera Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Sometimes repairs can exceed the cost of replacement.  Couple that with a body you are challenged getting service for might make repair undesirable. Hope you find a solution.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@CarlSGutekunst wrote:

I accidentally purchased a gray market EOS 90D. (The serial number starts with 3030.) It's well out of warranty, has failed, and needs service. However, it appears Canon will only service camera bodies that are registered, and the website will not permit me to register a gray market body.

How do I get my 90D serviced? I talked with a reputable independent shop, and they can't service it because (they said) it's incompatible with their alignment software.

I see this same question was asked 8 years ago, but I think the situation has changed. Back then it was possible to send in a body for non-warranty repair without registering it.

Have you called Canon directly or trying to arrange for service via the website?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Stephen

Hi there!

Please keep in mind that the Factory Service Center makes the final decision about whether or not to perform repairs on your gear. Since it's a gray market product, that means they may not be able to do certain things.

That being said, you can fill out THIS FORM, print it out, and send your camera for an evaluation.

CarlSGutekunst
Contributor

Thank you peoples! I was assuming the exact problems didn't matter w.r.t. the question, but of course they do. 😳

The main issues are the top-side LCD panel only half works, and two of my lenses behave poorly, with inaccurate focus and lens communication errors. (The same lenses on a 40D and 70D are fine.) It feels like trivial issues, e.g., replace the LCD, alignment, and cleaning...?

I bought it at B&H; they told me I would “have to find someone locally to service the item.” I queried two online repair shops I've used before; the good one said they can't fix it, the sketch one said they could. 🤷‍♂️ After I was blocked at Canon's website I did call them, but their phone bot was too daunting for me and I could not get a human being on the line. I have not tried Adorama; I didn't realize they did repairs.

I think I'm going to try Stephen's form first (thank you sir!), and if that's a no-go, try the sketch independent shop. Either way, I'll budget replacing it with an R7, and use my 70D as my primary body in the interim. (The 70D works flawlessly, but it looks exactly like you'd expect it to look after 10 years of use in all weather.)

normadel
Authority
Authority

You bought a gray-market Canon at B&H? That doesn't sound right. 

That's probably why I wasn't paying attention; it had not occurred to me that B&H sold gray market products at all. 😞 Their written policy is they will offer gray market products when the authorized ones are not available. It was marked as an import on the invoice, and there is a warning on the product page that (I'm guessing) I simply did not notice at the time.

But hey, even at my age I'm still learning from experience.
Screenshot at 2024-03-18 14-46-18.png

I would contact B&H for their repair recommendation, they are a solid retailer that I have dealt with for decades.

They used to sell a lot of grey market products and often listed them next to the authorized market products with a note and of course a lower price.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I asked them before I posted here. They said I “would have to find someone locally to service the item.”

I also have been buying from them for decades, which made this whole episode disappointing.

To be clear, I don't fault B&H at all. I'm the one who didn't read what I was buying and then did not attempt to register the product with Canon; had I done either of those I wouldn't be in this pickle. But thanks to the folks here, I consider the question answered and will carry on, a little wiser and more careful.

Announcements