cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD cards and RAW

mike21
Enthusiast

With my present bog standard cheap SD card the red light is on for about ten seconds if I shoot in RAW +jpg. I do not use burst mode but photographing birds in flight can mean an exposure every couple of seconds. Presumably write speed is the problem; which is a suitable quality to go for, the cards seem to be described in so many ways by different manufacturers.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The card I am currently using is a Kingston HC - SD4/8GB. It has been formatted in the camera several times. I have not bought a new card yet, my problem is the long time it appears to take to write to the card when using RAW+JPG, based on the time the light is on. THe PNY I was considering has the words 100MB/Sec on the label, presumably the maximum read speed with USB 3.0  With a camera max write speed of 44MB/s writing a raw +jpg should be almost instantaneous with the PNY's write speed - presumably my present card write capability is very much below the 700D's maximum of 44 MB/sec. I am not bothered about read speed.

View solution in original post

@mike21 wrote:

The card I am currently using is a Kingston HC - SD4/8GB. It has been formatted in the camera several times. I have not bought a new card yet, my problem is the long time it appears to take to write to the card when using RAW+JPG, based on the time the light is on. THe PNY I was considering has the words 100MB/Sec on the label, presumably the maximum read speed with USB 3.0  With a camera max write speed of 44MB/s writing a raw +jpg should be almost instantaneous with the PNY's write speed - presumably my present card write capability is very much below the 700D's maximum of 44 MB/sec. I am not bothered about read speed.

Use Lexar or Sandisk.  

Use full size SD cards, never micro-SD cards with adapters.

Be aware that a card that far exceeds what your camera needs can be just as bad as a card that falls short of the specifications.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Yes, the camera model needs to be known too because they are a another variable. This site should help.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you. My camera is a Canon 700D (T5) - 18 Mpixel. The nearest in the chart is the Rebel T6 - 24 Mpixel. With a lower file size it would seem that a lower speed card would be as fast to write to my camera as the expensive ones recommended for the T6. I have found a PNY Elite Performance SDHC Flash Memory Card 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 U3 at £15 post free which would seem to be a good compromise - am I correct?

Have you re-formatted the card in the camera lately?

Does JPEG by itself take a long time?

Does RAW by itself take a long time?

@mike21 wrote:

Thank you. My camera is a Canon 700D (T5) - 18 Mpixel. The nearest in the chart is the Rebel T6 - 24 Mpixel. With a lower file size it would seem that a lower speed card would be as fast to write to my camera as the expensive ones recommended for the T6. I have found a PNY Elite Performance SDHC Flash Memory Card 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 U3 at £15 post free which would seem to be a good compromise - am I correct?

700D has a maximum write speed of 44 MB/s. Your card, if it is the one with 95 MB/s* has a write speed of around 56 MB/s.

Anyway, have you low level format your card in camera?

@mike21 wrote:

Use Lexar or Sandisk.  

Use full size SD cards, never micro-SD cards with adapters.

Be aware that a card that far exceeds what your camera needs can be just as bad as a card that falls short of the specifications.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks all. I now know enough to be able to find the appropriate new card.

Announcements