cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card trouble - EOS 4000D

sunmachine
Apprentice

Hi, I’m currently on a trip and just used up all the storage on my current SD card so bought a new one. I put the new card in to check that it worked and once it did, I wanted to put my old one back in so I could view the photos. It now says “This card cannot be accessed.” and I’ve read various things about what this means. I’ve taken this card in and out of the slot multiple times in the past but only now is it displaying this error. I won’t have my card reader until I get back home, but I’m wondering if I’ll still be able to view the photos with a card reader or whether I’ll have to find another way to recover the images. There’s over 800 photos on there that I desperately don’t want to lose. Thanks!  

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hello!
So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information:
• Which camera do you have?
• What size and brand is your memory card?
• Are you using a memory card adapter?

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to visit your My Canon Account to discover your personalized support options.

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear about this issue you are having while on a trip.  Do not insert the “bad” card into the camera again. Moving forward, only use a card reader connected to a [computer.]

What model camera are you using?

What brand and storage capacity are your memory cards?

Are you using micro-SD cards that require an adapter?

Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, thanks for the response! I have a Canon EOS 4000D, my old memory card is a 16GB sandisk. The memory card that is now full was not a microSD with an adaptor, but the new one that I just bought is. 

The micro-SD cards are NOT recommended by Canon. Only use full size SD cards. I would also recommend to not use SDXC cards, 64 GB and larger. 

Be sure to only use major brand name cards. Do not buy cards from any vendor that is not a Canon factory authorized dealer. Be sure to format memory cards using the camera prior to first use. 

Ah okay, thank you, I didn’t know this. That’s really helpful to know now. However, what does this mean for recovering the old photos on my full SD card. Is there still a way to save them? 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try a card reader when you get home. If there are still issues, get back to us.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Try a card reader when you get home. If there are still issues, get back to us.

“Yes.  Yes.  To Obi-Wan, you listen.”

Announcements