cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retro Camera Suggestion

kevinknight
Apprentice

This has been on my mind for years. I have shot canon for quite a while and plan on sticking but what I miss is the feel of my A-1. Fuji and now Nikon have a retro body, even the Sony have a retro style mirror box on top. What I would like to see is something like the R5 in A A-1 body. Even A M50 retro would work. Something with that feel like you just want it on the front seat with you all the time... Am I alone here? is there enough support to make this happen?

1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have commented on this before, and have the same wish.  I too loved the feel of the Canon A-1's with which I started my photographic career. At the moment it seems extremely unlikely that Canon will go that route, so I don't feel I am betraying Canon for discussing other brands in this specific context.

When Nikon came out with the Df, which also harkened back to the 1970's and early 80's, I bought two of them - at the time, I was also shooting with the Nikon F-3 as well.  They are DSLR's that have the look and feel of those legacy bodies, but inside is the fabulous sensor from the flagship D4 body.   I have had them for a few years and love them!
They got flak in the early days from people who just didn't get the idea of the legacy feel and were upset that they didn't do video (which, of course, the old bodies didn't either).  The sensors offer 16MP FF performance that has been tweaked for low light performance, giving a leading performance that is still up to the mark today.
Nikon Df Camera: The SnapChick Full Review - YouTube
The Nikon Df - My thoughts. Steve Huff. - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXYCWVWVLs&t=18s - Tamron 18-300 review

DF2_1552 A.jpg
Nikon Df, Nikkor 24-120 f/4 @ 120mm, f/4, 1/5 sec ISO-800.  Shot available light, hand-held

The other close player is from Fujifilm, and here we have what is essentially the best APS-C Mirrorless camera on the market in the form of the X-t4: I have a couple of them too.  Similar dial retro interface, great sensor, and has the unique benefit of film simulations.
Is the Fujifilm X System Good Enough for Professional Photographers? - YouTube
The Fujifilm X-T4 is now the best APS-C camera you can buy – here's why | TechRadar
Fujifilm X-T4 Review: The Best APS-C Camera on the Market (For a Price) (digital-photography-school....
Fujifilm X-T4 First Look: A Jolt to the Industry - YouTube

The nice thing about Fuji is the size, lightness and quality of the Fuji's native optics, and now Tamron have created an amazing lens for the Fuji X-series bodies.   I use my Fuji's with their excellent f/416-80 (FoV equivalent to a 24-120 on a FF), and the astounding Tamron 18-300 lens, which is universally praised as dramatically raising the bar for super zoom lenses.
I also have access to all of Canon's DSLR lens catalogue with the Fringer EF-FX MkII mount that not only allows me to use EF and EF-S lenses, but gives me an on-lens aperture control ring. 

So, if you are prepared to move out from Canon, there are alternatives.

As a demonstration of low light performance this image was taken hand-held in available light, under very dim lighting, at a museum:
DSCF0179 LR Copy.jpg
Fuji X-T4, Fuji XF 16-80mm (Equiv. 24-120), 16mm, f/4, 1/15sec, ISO-2000.  Hand-held

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements