cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished 6D Mark II: Sensor Scratch? Please Help

Reis95
Apprentice

I've been taking a series of white paper photos to test for scratches or dust. I just received my refurbished camera last week. f/1.4 - not visiblef/1.4 - not visibleAround f/12 - visibleAround f/12 - visiblef/22 - highly visiblef/22 - highly visibleAs the f stop progresses, a pretty clear black shape appears in the bottom left of my photos. I can't tell if this is on my lens or on the sensor.

1)First shot is 1.4

2) Second is between f/12-16 (can't remember)

3)third shot f/22

I only have one lens right now so I can't switch them out to check. I want to send it back if it came this way.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ian_D_Head
Contributor

If it was me I wouldn't be taking any chances. I'd return it to wherever I got it from and ask them to clean the sensor. If they can't, it's permanent. Seems strange that it's refurbed and like that from the start. I wouldn't necessarily try anything with it for fear of being accused of causing it.

If all is lost or there's no chance of the return, I would certainly try to clean it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

My bad eyes cannot see anything.  Could draw a circle around the spot?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Here is the f/22 photo.  Untitled design (3).jpg

Peter
Authority
Authority

Seems like hair on the sensor.

Now that the OP has circled it I agree it is either a hair on the sensor or in the mirror box.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ian_D_Head
Contributor

If it was me I wouldn't be taking any chances. I'd return it to wherever I got it from and ask them to clean the sensor. If they can't, it's permanent. Seems strange that it's refurbed and like that from the start. I wouldn't necessarily try anything with it for fear of being accused of causing it.

If all is lost or there's no chance of the return, I would certainly try to clean it.

Hi Ian,

I thought the same, especially since it’s from Canon! Thank you for your input.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Care to tell us where you purchased your camera?

Refurbished products sold by Canon are returned to factory specifications before sale.  They don't come with dents, scratches, dust or hair.  I'm sure anything is possible but very unlikely.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I purchased this directly from Canon’s website. I was bummed when I took off the sensor cap for the first time and noticed a dust layer, and what looked like a tiny curved scratch on the filter, and a tiny finger swipe of some sort. The swiped area looks dustless, leaving the remaining area looking like there’s a film. 

I did take an unboxing video showing it. I wasn’t sure if this was acceptable as a refurbished camera and took some photos to test. I am going to send it back for cleaning. 

Thank you for your input,

-N

Announcements