cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording VIDEO on different shooting modes

parisd
Contributor

I have a Canon T6i Rebel - My goal is to keep the SHUTTER SPEED the same as I shoot video (As you usually do, eg; if you're shoooting 24fps, your shutter speed should be @ 48 or 50) But have the FStop + ISO both on Auto. So, i do not want the shutter speed changing as I shoot video throughout the day, espeically if I'm doing a Vlog and going in and out of dark to light areas. SO, what setting of the Turn Dial should be selected if I want to keep the Shutter Speed constant, but the f-stop and ISO on auto?

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Put the camera into "M" mode, Manual Exposure Mode.  Dial in a shutter speed.  Set the ISO to a value, or set it for AUTO.  Dial in an aperture setting for your desired depth-of-field, or to control the amount of light.  Move the power swith to "Movie".

Good Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And download the full User manual PDF, all of this is covered in detail. This is not the summary manual (Basic instruction manual)  included in the box!

Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm aware of MANUAL mode, however, my question was is there a way to have the Aperture on AUTO as well as ISO on AUTO but have Shutter Speed be manual just so that I can leave it at a constant speed for all movie shooting?

I ask because in PHOTO-MODE, you're able to accomplish this by the different "Av" "Tv" "P" modes where you can single out which ones you want to have full control over.

Thank you for your time!

@parisd wrote:

Thanks for your input. Yes, I'm aware of MANUAL mode, however, my question was is there a way to have the Aperture on AUTO as well as ISO on AUTO but have Shutter Speed be manual just so that I can leave it at a constant speed for all movie shooting?

I ask because in PHOTO-MODE, you're able to accomplish this by the different "Av" "Tv" "P" modes where you can single out which ones you want to have full control over.

Thank you for your time!

I know what your question was.  So, let me be more direct.  If you're aware of MANUAL mode, are you also aware of the Instruction MANUAL?  Read it.  What you want is not possible with your camera. Demanding an answer won't make it happen.

"Not possible with your camera" . Copy that.  Thank you!

@parisd wrote:

"Not possible with your camera" . Copy that.  Thank you!

Automatic aperture control is not something that would be desireable when shooting video, anyway.  You're talking about letting the camera decide how much of the background you want to be in focus, or not.

True. I guess I was talking more of "On The Fly" vlogging, going inside to outside and visa versa with a lot of different shots all in the same take. I just know that if you're at 24fps your shutter speed should be (x2) constant. So knowing that, I was going to let the camera decide the other two vairables (aperture and ISO) like it does with some of the photo-shooting modes.

@parisd wrote:

True. I guess I was talking more of "On The Fly" vlogging, going inside to outside and visa versa with a lot of different shots all in the same take. I just know that if you're at 24fps your shutter speed should be (x2) constant. So knowing that, I was going to let the camera decide the other two vairables (aperture and ISO) like it does with some of the photo-shooting modes.

I suggest that you look at purchasing a manually operated cinema lens,.  I use Rokinon cine lenses.  The Canon lenses are 10x the cost.  More expensive gear may do what you're looking to do, too.

Awesome. Thank you!
Announcements