cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for EOS 60D Replacement that Accepts EF Lenses

Megregory
Apprentice

I have this similar Question. There is nothing wrong with my 60D and I continue to love its performance. My 13 year-old has become interested in photography and I would simply like to upgrade my camera and give this one to her. My favorite lens is the EFS13-135mm., but I also use the EF 50mm Macro with a life-size convertor often. The last lens I have is the EF70-300mm zoom lens with stabilizer. I would like to have a camera that would accept these 3 lenses. I mostly use the camera for flora, fauna and landscapes, but also sports. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What is your budget?  If you are looking to go with a new camera, I would recommend the R-series.  The least expensive (though least amount of features) being the EOS R100.  Do also at least look at the EOS R50 and EOS R10.  More capable cameras continue with the EOS R7, R8, R6, etc.

To make use of your EF and EF-S lenses on R-series cameras, you'd need an EF to RF adapter.  Strongly recommend sticking with Canon's own version of that adapter vs attemping to use third-party ones.

Later on, you could always then add additional RF or RF-S lenses.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Are you intending to share your lenses with your daughter, or are you going to give her some other lenses?  I had 3 60D cameras and really loved them.

As for yourself...  If you wish to use these lenses, you are limited by the fact you prefer the EF-S 18-135 lens, which is specific to APS-C crop sensor cameras.  So, as I see it, you have two options:

First, you can stick with DSLRs and in that case I would recommend either the 80D or 90D.   I have had both and while the 90D offers a more dense sensor of 32MP, I personally found it noisier and less enjoyable to use than the 80D.  In fact, when I sold almost all of my DSLR gear, I have retained one 80D and the EF-S 18-135 IS USM lens for old times' sake.  You might be able to get one of these refurbished from Canon  - see an example at This link for a  90D listing.

Alternatively, you can use the excellent EF-RF adapter to use all of your EF and EF-S lenses without losing function on the new R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs).   There are benefits to making the transition, as you gain several improvements that will render benefits in your types of shooting - such as, but not limited to sports - including:
* real-time what you see is what you get views for focus, DoF and exposure, think macros
* In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) to help with hand-held imagery that in some cases can work in addition to the optical stabilization of some lenses - a huge improvement for hand-held photography
* focus lock and tracking of eyes and faces for a wide range of subjects, including people, animals etc. Think sports,  for example.

Most significantly, the R-series is where the development is going now, so while you can use your existing optics, in the future you will be able to take advantage of the new designs for both optics and bodies, which are now only happening for the R platform.   As you come across lenses you like (and Canon have some great RF and RF-S lenses, with more in the pipeline), you can hand your existing optics to your daughter and move along with the technology.  Canon are not going to continue the DSLR platform for much longer, having just stopped their M-series bodies and lenses completely.

If you want to stick to APS-C sensors, then you have some choices and what you choose will, for a start, depend on your budget.  Currently the R7 (equivalent to the 90D) is the flagship APS-C MILC camera body, but there is a range of less expensive bodies (currently the R50 and R100) that I would expect to see expanded in the near future.

Alternatively again, if you were to go to a full-frame body, it will open the door to some brilliant lenses and bodies for the future.   The current models go from top-end down: R5 (equivalent to the 5D series), R6, R6MkII (equivalent to the 6D series), R8.   The good news is that unlike DSLRs that would not accept EF-S lenses, the new R-series FF bodies will do so but will reduce the MP capacity by a factor of 2.5.  For example, your EF-18-135 on the R6MkII, which has a sensor of 25MP would work but provide a 10MP image - and that might be absolutely fine, depending on what you need to produce, given social media and digital displays often use much lower resolutions in any case - in fact you can make some quite large prints with that size image.  In the case of your  EF 70-300 and EF 50mm lenses, you will get the full 24MP output.

The benefit of a shift to MILCs will be that you are future-proofing your investment as the range of cameras and lenses expands.  You can pick up fabulous RF 24-240 or the RF 24-105 (available in 3 variants), and they have some macro/portrait lenses as well. I recommend browsing the Canon site to check those out.

In the end, this is a question of looking into the future and deciding on which platform you wish to continue with.  The DSLRs are no longer under development and are becoming obsolescent, and the R-series MILC platform is definitely the future. 

Are you prepared to make that change, even with adapting your current lenses, so that you can keep up with future developments?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements