cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel x3i (600D) autofocus not working in Creative Zone mode. Works okay in the Basic modes.

morenlucky
Contributor

I bought a Canon refurbished x3i from Canon last Summer after my Ritz Camera extended warranty became useless and my xTi (400D) died. The camera has been excellent until very recently.

About a week or so ago, the autofocus stopped working. I think it started when I decided to try the Canon refurbished 50mm 1.8 lens I bought off the internet. It didn't work for that lens and hasn't worked in Creative Zone since.

There is an asterisk (*) in the lower left corner of the viewfinder. This is an AE progress indicator. There are no active Focus Points. Sometimes, all nine of them will light up, but it doesn't mean anything.

Based on responses to other forum posts, I have tried different EOS lenses (I have two Rebel film cameras) and I have tried LiveView. Same problem. I can live with the situation, but, obviously, I would rather not.

Naturally, Manual Focus works fine.

The pins on the camera look and feel fine - no bends or broken tips. The pins on the lenses look fine, too, even the 50mm.

(I haven't contacted Canon, yet, because after-the-sale guarantees are usually 30-90 days, but I will contact them tomorrow)

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I don't think you are getting the camera cleared and reset.  You MUST clear all settings.  It sounds like you have focus lock set to ON.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Your advice was spot on! In fact, I just received an email response from Canon that had that as the second suggestion. This was their first, which I didn't try since yours worked. (Note: the 50mm also works fine, now, too):

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

Sun Devil,

My camera is fine. I can't exactly say which of the two suggestions worked, but I did them both. The camera reset is exactly that, so you will lose whatever User-defined Functions you have and most of your Preferences e.g. ColorSpace.

good luck!

len

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to reset the camera.  Make sure you clear all settings and go back to factory defaults. You probably should reinstall the firmware, too.

Don't try to use that 50mm you bought again after you reset the camera until you can verifiy it is OK.

EB

Thanks. I did reset the camera, but I haven't re-installed the firmware. A project for today.

I'm going to put the 50mm on one of the film Rebels to see if it works there.

Well, I downloaded the Firmware update (same as I had in the camera - 1.02) according to the directions. No change.

I am curious about the asterisk on the lower left corner of the LCD. It only shows up when I (try to) activate auto-focus by pressing the shutter button half-way.

If I press the AE-L button (*), it focuses!

I have some serious research to do after breakfast with my wife.

I don't think you are getting the camera cleared and reset.  You MUST clear all settings.  It sounds like you have focus lock set to ON.

EB

Roberto DeVincenzo said it best, when he lost the 1968 Masters golf tournament because e signed an incorrect scorecard.

"What a stupid I am."

I reset everything, including Custom Functions this time, and removed the battery for about 30 seconds.

All seems well with the world. I wonder if the 50mm had anything to do with it or just my fat fingers pressing the wrong buttons.

Regardless, thank you so-o-o much for making me smarter.

len

Smiley Happy

" I wonder if the 50mm had anything to do with it ..."

Yes, it most surely could have.  Check it out carefully just for piece of mind.

EB

Your advice was spot on! In fact, I just received an email response from Canon that had that as the second suggestion. This was their first, which I didn't try since yours worked. (Note: the 50mm also works fine, now, too):

Power Reset

1. Make sure the camera is off, and then remove the battery, memory card, and lens.

2. Close the battery/memory card doors.

3. Turn the power switch to the "ON" position, and then press and hold down the shutter button for 10 seconds.

4. Release the shutter button, turn the power switch to the "OFF" position, reinsert the battery, memory card, and attach the lens.

5. Power the camera on.

guys, I have a similar issue...

I just purchased a floor model, T3i from Target (got a good price on it). The AutoFocus function down not work in Creative Zone mode - but works fine in the basic modes. Since I only like to use Manual mode, I am very frustrated with this issue.

I have tried clearing all settings, and just tried the option above. How can I 'reload' the firmware? What other suggestions might you have?

BY THE WAY, I have tried using different lenses, but that hasn't solved the problem.

Thanks a ton... I would really like to get this fixed before I head out on a trip in a couple of days.

Sun Devil,

My camera is fine. I can't exactly say which of the two suggestions worked, but I did them both. The camera reset is exactly that, so you will lose whatever User-defined Functions you have and most of your Preferences e.g. ColorSpace.

good luck!

len

Announcements