cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t3 has fully Charged battery, but won't turn on....any suggestions?

Chatty94
Apprentice
I have tried two fully charged batteries, but my rebel t3 won't turn on.....it is about 4 years old....it has not been dropped or damaged....and I used it about 3-4 weeks ago with no problem. Any suggestions?

I did read in the manual that there are two different batteries......I have no idea where the second one is located or even how big it is.....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lauras2dolist
Apprentice

My rebel t3i wouldnt turn on! Thougt it was the battery so I bought a new one. Didn't work. Read some post and thought maybe there was a loose connetcion where the battery goes or the memory card. If either one of those isn't secure it won't work. Not the case. It was my memory card, I has switched it from my Nikon to my Canon and it wouldn't work. I put the memory card into my Mac, deleted everything off of it, put the card back in and the camera works fine. Years of using cameras and I guess I am an idiot....but you don't switch memory cards back and forth unless you format them first. MY BAD.

Happy to have finally solved this problem and at no cost..except now I have a back up battery..which isn't a bad thing.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Buying third-party batteries is a real crap shoot.  If I were going to do that, which I don't, I would stick with brands that are sold by the major camera retailers. They see enough product to weed out the poor performers.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

PSB
Apprentice

Just had the same thing happen to me - my t3i won't turn on. Thought my battery had died, so charged it, but put in my back up battery knowing it had a full charge, and that wouldn't work either. Charged both, and my camera won't turn stay on. Goes on for a split second then shuts off right after. What do I do now? I got it the beginning of 2012, and take excellent care of it, so...

I had to buy a new battery that was NOT the Made in China crap battery.

Chatty94
Apprentice
I take excellent care of mine too, and only used quality batteries... I ended up buying a new camera...

Ugh, I don't want to have to do that. My batteries and charger are both from Canon too.

If it turns out that camera is defective and you need to purchase a new one look into the refurbished cameras at the Canon eStore.

Good prices, same warranty as a new camera, and the Canon Loyalty Program will give you a discount.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My Rebel T3 glitched out a couple of times & removing the battery & putting it back in seemed to solve it. Now, nothing...won't turn on at all. I have two Point & Shoot cameras (NOT Canon) that are 12 yrs old, had more use than this camera, yet they still function perfectly. I DID have to return my 1st Rebel T3 due to artifacts (bad sensor)...got this one & it had the same issue...just less artifacts, so i gave up & kept the 2nd camera....NOW THIS!!! I take excellent care of my electronics & cameras....major OCD about them. NEVER EVER DROPPED. The camera looks brand new, but is a huge piece of junk sitting there now. Is Canon doing the same corporate marketing as so many of the other companies out there? Design it to work for just long enough they won't be in warranty....to generate more sales? Like HP computers & so many others do? Oh, please buy more Canon, since we can all afford to replace our cameras every couple of years...NO THANKS

lauras2dolist
Apprentice

My rebel t3i wouldnt turn on! Thougt it was the battery so I bought a new one. Didn't work. Read some post and thought maybe there was a loose connetcion where the battery goes or the memory card. If either one of those isn't secure it won't work. Not the case. It was my memory card, I has switched it from my Nikon to my Canon and it wouldn't work. I put the memory card into my Mac, deleted everything off of it, put the card back in and the camera works fine. Years of using cameras and I guess I am an idiot....but you don't switch memory cards back and forth unless you format them first. MY BAD.

Happy to have finally solved this problem and at no cost..except now I have a back up battery..which isn't a bad thing.

Thank you, lauras2dolist, for your message. That must have been the issue with my Rebel, as I also changed memory cards and it worked just fine again. Thankfully it is working ok right now. Thanks again!

@lauras2dolist wrote:

That's good info and thanks for sharing that data.

It's somewhat well known that you should not swap memory cards between cameras unless you format them, but it hadn't occurred to me that this could prevent the camera from turning on.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements