cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 vs. SL1

StanC
Contributor

The features of the Rebel T6 and SL1 seem very similar and also comparable price range. I'm trying to narrow down my choices before buying.  Any suggestions?

StanC

7 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think the major difference is size. If you want a tiny SLR, look seriously at the SL1.

View solution in original post

I personally don't get the tiny dslr concept though.  The thing is smaller, but not small enough to give it any real advantage. It still won't fit in a pocket or anything, and the lenses are exactly the same big lenses as you use on other cameras.  

It is however just small enough to lose the good ergonomics you buy a dslr for. The normally well designed finger grip is reduced to a shrimpy bump. The buttons are few.  The balance between camera and lens is thrown off with bigger lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@StanC wrote:

The features of the Rebel T6 and SL1 seem very similar and also comparable price range. I'm trying to narrow down my choices before buying.  Any suggestions?

StanC

The SL1 was introduced as a small light weight higher end camera. It has a carbon fiber body, and a faster processor than the T6. The SL1's kit lens is the much better STM version of the 18-55 IS lens. Unfortunately, many people in the United States associate big cameras as being higher end and small cameras as being cheap. The SL1 is now a few years old so it's specs are close to today's budget cameras. When the SL1 was introduced it was DRReview's camera of the year. 

The T6 is a budget camera entry level camera.

@TTMartin wrote:

@StanC wrote:

StanC

The SL1 was introduced as a small light weight higher end camera. It has a carbon fiber body, and a faster processor than the T6. The SL1's kit lens is the much better STM version of the 18-55 IS lens. Unfortunately, many people in the United States associate big cameras as being higher end and small cameras as being cheap. The SL1 is now a few years old so it's specs are close to today's budget cameras. When the SL1 was introduced it was DRReview's camera of the year. 

It may be significant that, so far at least, there is no SL2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@TTMartin wrote:

@StanC wrote:

StanC

The T6 is a T5 with added Wi-Fi.  Spec wise, the SL1 was a better camera than the T5 when it was introduced.  The best feature the SL1 had was sensor cleaning.  The T6 only comes in a kit with kit lenses.  The SL1 can be bought as just a camera body, or in a kit with a lens.

The T6 Wi-Fi offers bare bones functionality.  The SL1 is a very compact camera, made for small hands.  Makinga choice between the two cameras is tough.  However you figure that you expect to use the camera is more than likely going to be wrong.  Not unless you plan on throwing into a drawer and leaving it there.  In that case, don't buy either one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The SL1 is a very compact camera, made for small hands."

This is a valid major point.  To some people it may be an advantage but to most people I doubt it is.  The SL1 will be very poorly balanced with all but the smallest lenses.  Cameras are a total package and you should consider them as such.  If small size is on the top of your list of must have, go for it.  If it is low on your needs, pass on it.

I tried one when it first came out and quickly decided it was too small for a working day in day out camera.  But I mostly use larger "L" series lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think the major difference is size. If you want a tiny SLR, look seriously at the SL1.

Thanks

I personally don't get the tiny dslr concept though.  The thing is smaller, but not small enough to give it any real advantage. It still won't fit in a pocket or anything, and the lenses are exactly the same big lenses as you use on other cameras.  

It is however just small enough to lose the good ergonomics you buy a dslr for. The normally well designed finger grip is reduced to a shrimpy bump. The buttons are few.  The balance between camera and lens is thrown off with bigger lenses. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@StanC wrote:

StanC

@TTMartin wrote:

@StanC wrote:

StanC

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@StanC wrote:

StanC

Well, that changed.

I also put my money where my mouth is and ordered a refurbished SL1 yesterday.

My wife wants us to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail originally we were just planning on taking her SX50HS and cellphone cameras, but, I decided I really wanted a dSLR. When you are hiking 2200 miles every bit of weight has to count. The SL1, EF-S 18-55 IS STM, and EF-S 55-250 IS STM combined weigh about the same as my 7D Mk II body only. So that's what we are going to be taking. And even at 2 lbs that is a significant ammount of weight to be taking on a thru-hike.

FWIW the 13 oz SL1 balances perfectly with the 13 oz EF-S 55-250 IS STM.

@TTMartin wrote:

@StanC wrote:

StanC

The T6 is a T5 with added Wi-Fi.  Spec wise, the SL1 was a better camera than the T5 when it was introduced.  The best feature the SL1 had was sensor cleaning.  The T6 only comes in a kit with kit lenses.  The SL1 can be bought as just a camera body, or in a kit with a lens.

The T6 Wi-Fi offers bare bones functionality.  The SL1 is a very compact camera, made for small hands.  Makinga choice between the two cameras is tough.  However you figure that you expect to use the camera is more than likely going to be wrong.  Not unless you plan on throwing into a drawer and leaving it there.  In that case, don't buy either one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The SL1 is a very compact camera, made for small hands."

This is a valid major point.  To some people it may be an advantage but to most people I doubt it is.  The SL1 will be very poorly balanced with all but the smallest lenses.  Cameras are a total package and you should consider them as such.  If small size is on the top of your list of must have, go for it.  If it is low on your needs, pass on it.

I tried one when it first came out and quickly decided it was too small for a working day in day out camera.  But I mostly use larger "L" series lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements