cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 swaps SD card priority every time I remove one

RobCS1
Apprentice

I recently purchased an EOS R7 camera and the one annoyance I have is that whenever I remove the #1 SD card to copy to my computer the camera wants to reset my SD card priority to the #2 card. After reading the manual I thought that I had the cards set up so that #1 is primary and #2 is overflow. But the camera, even when turned off wants to switch cards after a removal. Is this designed or is there another setting I have to choose?

My settings in "Record func+card/folder set. is:

Disable

Auto switch card

Standard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@RobCS1 wrote:

I recently purchased an EOS R7 camera and the one annoyance I have is that whenever I remove the #1 SD card to copy to my computer the camera wants to reset my SD card priority to the #2 card. After reading the manual I thought that I had the cards set up so that #1 is primary and #2 is overflow. But the camera, even when turned off wants to switch cards after a removal. Is this designed or is there another setting I have to choose?

Disable

Auto switch card

Standard

If you are just downloading, don't shut the card door. Remove the card, leave the door open, download images and replace the card and then shut the door. Once you shut the door the camera will search for a card in one of the slots. Prevents you from taking images with no card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The camera is supposed to do that. How is the camera going to record to an empty card slot. Is this your first camera to use dual card slots. My 5D Mark IV also switches back and forth between CF and SD card slots. When one card is removed and replaced back into the card slot.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Actually, I had a Nikon D7200 with two slots and never had this issue. But I didn't think that this camera would "search" for a card if I turned the camera off before removing the card, and returned the card to the slot before turning it back on.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@RobCS1 wrote:

Disable

Auto switch card

Standard

If you are just downloading, don't shut the card door. Remove the card, leave the door open, download images and replace the card and then shut the door. Once you shut the door the camera will search for a card in one of the slots. Prevents you from taking images with no card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for your to-the-point, non-judgmental response.  

RobCS1
Apprentice

Thanks. I will give that a try. Intuitively, I have always closed the door after removing the card to download to the PC simply to avoid accidentally bumping and breaking the hinge on an open card slot door.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements