cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 - enable IBIS when IS on lens is turned off?

StigC69
Apprentice

Hi,

I have an old IS enabled lens where the IS isn't working properly any longer (mechanically).

My R7 has build-in IBIS so I wanted to try using that alone with IS on the lens disabled.

But, it seems the IS and the IBIS is linked - so when i disable the IS on the lens, the IBIS is disabled at the same time.

The R7 sees the attached lens has IS (even if it's turned off) and lets the IS status of the lens decide whether or not IBIS is enabled or not (as opposed to when attaching an non-IS lens where the IBIS is controlled on the body).

In the setup, the IBIS setting for still images is only visible with a non-IS lens attached. As soon as an IS enabled lens is attached the menu setting disappears.

So - does anybody know, if it's possible to override the IS status of the lens and control the IBIS directly on the body regardless of the lens attached? Then I would be able to turn off the faulty IS on the lens and still get the stabilization of the body.

Regards

Stig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

You are correct sir.  They work in conjunction with one another on or off.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ctitanic
Enthusiast

I was under the impression that when the IS was off in the lens (using the button in the lens) the BIS was still working. Take for example the case when there is not IS in the lens, the IBIS still works. 

How do you see the IBIS disable when you disable IS in the lens? In the Menu?

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R7, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF18-150, RF50.
Flickr

Hi,

I don't think thats the case, but maybe I'm reading the manual wrong. Page 290 says:

"Image stabilization by the camera reduces camera shake in still photo shooting. Set [IS
mode] to [On] as follows when using non-IS lenses. With IS-equipped lenses, camera shake
is reduced using stabilization by both the camera and lens. When using IS lenses that do not
have an IS switch, set [IS mode] to [On]. Note that the [IS mode] setting is not displayed
when you are using IS lenses that have an IS switch. In that case, setting the lens IS switch
to <ON> combines stabilization by the camera and lens."

And page 395 says:

"The camera's IS mode and movie digital IS features reduce camera shake as movies are
recorded. They can provide effective stabilization even when non-IS lenses are used. The
[IS mode] menu item is not shown when IS-equipped lenses are used. In that case, setting
the lens Image Stabilizer switch to <ON> combines stabilization by the lens and camera."

The "shake hand" icon in the viewfinder changes to "shake off" when the IS button on the lens is deactivated (the same as when using a non-is lens with stabilization set to off in the menu) - if IBIS was still active I wouldn't expect it to explicitly say "off" in the icon - but I may be wrong.

But, apart from the above, I'm not sure - maybe it is actually always active - I could hope. I'll try digging a bit further...

Thanks

Stig

Hi,

So, I think I found my answer 😞

These 2 threads on dpreview concludes that the 2 systems are linked and you cannot turn on IBIS if IS is off on an IS-enabled lens.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4672955

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4664221

So, either I need to find a way to make the lens "hide" what it is (and report non-IS) or I guess I need to hope for a Canon firmware update that will allow me to control the IBIS independantly.

Regards

Stig

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

You are correct sir.  They work in conjunction with one another on or off.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

well, that's bad!

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R7, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF18-150, RF50.
Flickr
Announcements