cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 mk2 draining batteries

Steve07
Contributor

Hi,

I have only had my R6 mk2 for about 8 months, I use the neewer battery grip, canon batteries and canon adapter for my ef lenses, the same set up I had with my 5D mk3, I cannot understand why it’s draining batteries when it’s not powered up. I have had several canon bodies over many years and never had this problem. Probably going to get it checked out as I’m pretty sure this shouldn’t be happening. Hopefully a simple solution. Any ideas please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So true about the latest cameras not accepting 3rd party products, apple products tend to be the same, think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and buy my two spares as canon originals. It does seem somewhat wrong for these large companies to monopolise on what’s essentially a commodity product, but as you say if it puts a highly prized camera out of action, what can you do. Have a great weekend and many thanks for the valuable comments. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If the battery grip is a 3rd Party item discontinue using it. To see if the problem goes away.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I agree with Demetrius.  Lets’ stop using the third party accessories.  Did you purchase your camera through a Canon Factory Authorized Dealer?

Remove the Neewer battery grip and only use the original Canon battery.  If you are using a third party EF/RF mount adapter, then stop using that, too.  At this point in time, only use a Canon mount adapter because Canon ordered third party companies to stop selling them and remove them from stores.  If you do not have at least one native mount Canon RF lens, then I recommend that you buy one.  The RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is my recommendation.

If you are not actively using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, then keep them disabled until you do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. My R6 and genuine canon adapter were purchased from a fantastic family dealer (Cambrian Photography in North Wales) who have looked after me for my photography work for nearly 30 years. It was a retirement present to myself after debating about mirrorless, I talked to the canon reps at the annual show at the dealers. I’ve used the Neewer kit with previous cameras and bought with confidence, it has worked perfectly so far, but I will definitely try your recommendations and also look to purchase the 50mm R series lens as that was in my wish list. Thanks again, I will update on any progress. 

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

I only use Canon equipment and accessories except when it comes to batteries. I've been using SterlingTek batteries for decades. My experience has been positive.  They hold a charge longer, are readily available and less expensive.

I bought my wife an EOS RP it came with one battery so I ordered two more. The battery immediately goes out of stock due to the high demand. So I bought third party batteries.

I am sure that future Canon cameras will not work with third party batteries. Can you imagine an expensive Canon mirrorless sitting around your house and it is totally unusable because it won't function with 3rd party batteries and OEM Canon batteries continue to be out of stock? 

So true about the latest cameras not accepting 3rd party products, apple products tend to be the same, think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and buy my two spares as canon originals. It does seem somewhat wrong for these large companies to monopolise on what’s essentially a commodity product, but as you say if it puts a highly prized camera out of action, what can you do. Have a great weekend and many thanks for the valuable comments. 

You’re putting the cart in front of the horse.  The problem isn’t with third party batteries.  The problem is with counterfeit Canon batteries.  They malfunction and damage cameras.  

If a third party battery cannot pass the functionality tests, then I wouldn’t want to use it.  There are a few third party brands that work well.  I’ve never heard of your brand before.

I use mainly Hahnel batteries, never had any problems with them, the manufacturer I mentioned is the grip. Neewer.com do a range of lighting, tripods and other accessories. The lighting I’ve used is great, the build quality, fit and feel of the grip is excellent, the batteries I purchased were not cheap so maybe it’s worth paying that bit extra to prevent a situation in the future, I can see it coming, a firmware update and suddenly all third party products aren’t recognised. All good! 

I was replying to dpsalz. It seems you and I cross posted.  When I began typing your post did not exist, and vice versa.

We have had a number posts in the forum complaining about the lack of compatibility of Neweer gear, particularly lighting equipment.  

I think the Neweer brand is “not good”.  There are people that swear by their gimbal.  You just have to disassemble it and grease the insides for it work well.  No thanks.  You get what you pay for.  

I would not recommend Neweer to anyone.

Canon has probably changed their batteries to protect themselves.  Counterfeit gear is a widespread problem that seem to cost companies a lot of time, expenses, and damage to their reputation.

How do you explain to someone that their damaged camera is not eligible for a warranty repair because it had contained counterfeit “Canon” batteries?  I’m sure that it ain’t easy.

Incompatible and poorly functioning third party gear had to be the driving motive behind Canon banning all third manufacturers from selling RF lenses and especially the EF/RF mount adapters.  

Many of the third party mount adapters and lenses would drain the batteries or even damage the cameras.  How do you explain to someone that their camera is not eligible for a warranty repair because their mount adapter is trash.

The forum was full of posts from people using third party gear on RF bodies reporting all sorts of issues, from lockups to actual camera damage.  We still get the occasional post from members complaining about how their third party DSLR lens does not work properly on a RF mount body.  It’s always the cheap bargain brands that cause the problems, too.

There are a lot of counterfeit Canon batteries out three.  Canon added more smarts to their batteries, and now many third party brands do not pass “the smell test.”  

I would not want to use a battery that does not report its charge or health properly, which what many of these counterfeit and third party batteries do.

Announcements