cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 MkII vrs. 5DMkIV video quality

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast

Does anyone have hands on experience comparing the VIDEO QUALITY of the R6 MkII with the 5DMkIV, and which one, if any, produces the sharpest video?

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There's so much that goes into quality.   Are you doing HD or 4K work?   If you already have one of the cameras, strongly recommend renting the other one.

I only have the 5D IV, which in 4K mode is heavily cropped at 1.7x.  This ends up using exactly 4K worth of sensor sites (no oversampling) and files generated (MJPEG) are massive.

The R6 II captures 4K by oversampling 6K so that should produce less aliasing and thus should be higher quality in that regard.

The 5D IV has absolutely horrid rolling shutter.

Personally, I prefer dedicated video equipment such as Canon's cinema cameras or camcorders.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Out of interest, please take a look at the video in this link. Any idea what resolution it was shot in?

https://www.fineandcountry.co.uk/cheltenham-gloucester-and-tewkesbury-estate-agents/property-sale/7-...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The video appears to be available for download.  You can probably get more info about it there.  Great house!

shadowsports_0-1689950497081.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Seems it's only 4K: the quality looks higher to me.

It's not just about resolution.  Can you describe in better detail about what makes it higher quality?

Also, what specifically are you aiming for in your videos? What do you feel are its shortcomings (i.e. what specific improvements are looking for.  More dynamic range? Something else?)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

If I can shoot video image quality like that of the video example I have shared - ie. sharp, clear, rich colours, and good dynamic range - I'd be happy.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As great as the 5D4 is (and it is a wonderful camera), the R62 has eclipsed it in all but one category, that is megapixels.  The R62 wins overall because it uses a different type of pixel density.  It has a newer Digic X processor and has better low light capability than its Digic 6+ counterpart.  In most but not all imaging situations, images captured with the R62 are of higher quality, clearer, with greater dynamic range than the higher resolution 5D4.  

Video wise, the R62 doesn't have a recording limit, but more importantly its 4k is derived from 6k oversampling, it supports greater bit depth (10 vs 8), and doesn't have any crop.  Even if it did, I would be less concerned about crop in this case, considering the other benefits mentioned above.  If that's not enough, then buy a Ninja V+ and record 6k 60 in ProRes, but the 10bit C-Log3 should be enough for most people.  Simply put the R62 is more powerful and capable of higher image quality than the 5D4.

Now take into consideration its newer software.  It uses many of the same technologies taken from the R3. I am not an authority as I do not own either body, but I would buy the R62 if I had to choose between the 2.  Worth mentioning, I'm sure significant work also went into the post production of the sample video you referenced.

I am interested to hear what Ricky or others think as well.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements