cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II-Blue Lines Shooting Across Screen When Focusing

PNWDB
Contributor

Greetings everyone, first time poster here. Have fortunately never really needed support until now. Figured I'd try the forum before doing any sort of service call.

I purchased a used R6 Mark II from a local guy. Said he had purchased it but didn't realize "how complicated" it was and couldn't return it as you threw away the bag with the receipt in it(he bought it at a local shop.) Only about 400 shots taken with it. The price was good enough that I decided to buy it anyway. Tested it briefly and everything seemed to work okay. 

I'm noticing now that when focusing, these blue lines show up horizontally across the frame both on the LCD and viewfinder. I thought it was odd but didn't think much of it as it was in low light and I thought maybe it was just some sort of noise. My R5 does not do this whatsoever, though, so it began to raise concern. I then tried video and the lines still show up as well as show up in the recording itself, rendering any client work that needs to be done basically impossible regarding video as I don't know if there is a way to edit these lines out.

If the camera is sitting idle then they don't show up but as soon as any focusing takes place, the lines will be there at random points on the screen. Tested with the 50mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.2, and the 15-35 2.8, lens doesn't seem to matter. Focusing mode didn't change it either. I tried resetting the camera and it is on the current firmware. Is something damaged or am I just missing something? I don't believe I can do a warranty claim as I do not have a receipt. Any replies are much appreciated. 

17 REPLIES 17

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Since you bought this camera used. Reset BOTH the camera and Custom Functions back to factory default.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Yes, I reset everything that is available to reset. Still didn't change anything. 

Resetting the camera DOES NOT clear Custom Functions. Are you sure you cleared the Custom Functions Menu.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes. I reset camera and reset custom functions. The lines are still present. 

What focus mode is the camera in. When you say blue lines that usually means Servo AF. Also please take a picture of the rear LCD screen. I have contacted an R6 Mark II owner in the forum about this.

-Demetrius

So I've tried each of the 3 focusing modes. In One Shot, the lines appear until focus is achieved and then go away once it is locked in. The AI Focus and Servo both behave about the same, with lines dancing around the screen constantly if the focus button is being engaged. I'll try to attach a photo, apologies for the poor phone quality. It's hard to catch it on photo so I had to take a video and screenshot the spot where it pops up. Several of these will show up at random points horizontally across the frame for split seconds then disappear. Seems to happen more in lower light like my hallway than bright areas but still happens regardless. IMG-6664.jpg

What happens when the lens is set to Manual Focus. Do the lines still appear. This almost like the digital level.

-Demetrius

Switched to manual focus...lines still appear when trying to achieve focus on something. Both in video and photo mode. Could it be an issue with the sensor itself? 

Are the lines in your final pictures when uploaded. If NOT there is nothing wrong with the image sensor. If they ONLY appear on the rear LCD Screen. NOT the EVF then the rear LCD Screen could be the problem.

-Demetrius

Announcements