cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 will not turn off

kaitieb
Apprentice

I updated the firmware yesterday to 1.8.1, it had not been updated in a year. The on/off switch on the camera does not work anymore. The camera only stays on. I can only get it to turn off by taking out the battery.The camera also is not auto turning off.

I have since tried reverting to 1.7.0 and it did not solve the problem.

Is this a firmware issue? Or most likely an issue with the button? My one year warranty expires literally today, if I put in a repair order will the warranty be honored. 

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Reset the camera and clear all custom settings. If that doesn't resolve it would seem to be a camera issue. File a warranty claim. Don't know what Canon will say about honoring it, but regardless it seems like the camera needs repair.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In addition to resetting the camera to factory defaults, make sure that the wireless settings are disabled, too.  Remove the memory card, and see if the problem persists.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

To add to @Waddizzle said also remove the lens and mount adapter if used too. To see if the problem continues even with those items unmounted.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements