cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 shooting video on two cards but it says RAW

Florentine
Contributor

Hi, I'm new to the R5. I'm shooting tomorrow and have the camera all set up, I hope. 
Except for shooting with two cards. When I go to the shooting screen press Q is says Image Quality Set Raw/Info 1-2.

In Wrench 1 func+ car/folder set Still/Video icons set to Disable
Video Icon Rec to multiple
Rec Options Standard
Auto Switch card 1 RAW 2 MP4 - doesn't appear to able to change this
Rec to multiple is blue

Thanks for your help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

It sounds like you have one of the 8K quality options selected (first row of icons).

As outlined in the manual, you'd first need to set the movie recording size.  Since you want High Definition, select the "FHD" option.

You'll then be able to select the frame rate, and then which codec you want to use.   HD should only be allowing "All-I" and the two "IPB" options.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Is "RAW" pertaining to the mode of how photos are being captured?   Can you take a photo of the screen on your camera and post it here?

I'm not sure what "D" is referring to, but 29:59 is referring to the maximum recording time.  A note from page 322 in the User Manual:

"The maximum recording time per movie is 29 min. 59 sec.   Once 29 min. 59 sec. is reached, recording automatically stops.  You can start recording a movie again by pressing the movie shooting button (which records the movie as a new file)."

Note: That page also discusses the more restrictive recording time if you set up high frame rate recording.

--
Ricky

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you capturing video?  If so, there's no way you'd be able to capture RAW video to both cards.  Only the CFexpress card slot can work with media capable of those high data rates.   Your SD card slot can only work with media that has much slower data rates.

It may be possible capture video onto the SD card, but only when you choose a lower quality recording option.

See pages 925 and 926 in the User Manual for a the various movie formats to include their bit rates.  I think the manual also lists another table somewhere that will show what card slot would support each video setting as well.

--
Ricky

Florentine
Contributor

Thanks. sorry i wasn't clear. I don't want to capture RAW at all. I want to set it up to 1920x1080 but can't figure out why it's set to RAW

You'd need to set the movie recording quality.  See pages 311 onward in the User Manual for details.

--
Ricky

Florentine
Contributor

Yes, but when I go to Camera/Movie Record Quality I'm getting only RAW choices. I don't see how to reset it. 

Ugh.

It sounds like you have one of the 8K quality options selected (first row of icons).

As outlined in the manual, you'd first need to set the movie recording size.  Since you want High Definition, select the "FHD" option.

You'll then be able to select the frame rate, and then which codec you want to use.   HD should only be allowing "All-I" and the two "IPB" options.

--
Ricky

I got it switched, but I don't know why. When I went to shooting screen it had changed to 1920x1080 23.98 ALL-1

Florentine
Contributor

Actually, I answered too quickly. I still don't know why if it's recording to both cards. On the Q screen I can tap to see both cards.  And, as in my original question, that screen still says RAW. It looks like it's not because 1080p says 2hrs recording time, although on the M screen that shows all the settings, in the bottom right is D and 29.59. What does that indicate? Confusing.

Is "RAW" pertaining to the mode of how photos are being captured?   Can you take a photo of the screen on your camera and post it here?

I'm not sure what "D" is referring to, but 29:59 is referring to the maximum recording time.  A note from page 322 in the User Manual:

"The maximum recording time per movie is 29 min. 59 sec.   Once 29 min. 59 sec. is reached, recording automatically stops.  You can start recording a movie again by pressing the movie shooting button (which records the movie as a new file)."

Note: That page also discusses the more restrictive recording time if you set up high frame rate recording.

--
Ricky

Florentine
Contributor

Tnanks so much. Forgot that. It's been a long few days.

Announcements