cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 restricting shutter speed in Av mode

Ford1958
Apprentice

Is there a way to restrict the shutter speed lower limits when I am shooting street photography while using AV mode on Canon r5? To get a clear picture, I must not let the camera use a shutter speed below a certain time because not all subjects are stationary!

I did find where I can restrict the shutter speeds' lower limit while in ISO auto and I set it at 1/500, but that did not achieve what I am looking to do.

Just lost here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lotus7
Rising Star

It sounds like you have done what you're asking, i.e.: setting a lower shutter speed limit.  Why does that not do what you're trying to achieve?  It will keep shutter speed from dropping below your minimum acceptable range.

The R5 has an adjustable minimum shutter speed limit setting that functions in Aperture Priority and Program Modes.

In typical Canon fashion, it's "hidden" where you might not expect to find it.  Go the the Camera (Red) Menu-2 and select ISO Speed Settings:  That will, of course let you set a fixed ISO speed, or set limits on the auto selected ISO ranges.  However, at the bottom of the ISO speed menu is an item called "Min. shutter spd."  There you can set a MANUAL absolute lower limit (1/2000 down to 1 second in 1-stop intervals) for the Av or Program auto selected speed, or possibly even better a dynamically adjusted min. speed limit (via the "AUTO" setting) which is calculated using a reciprocal focal length formula with a user specified +/- 3 stop offset. That setting works quite well if you're using any native Canon RF zoom lenses but probably won't work with 3rd party zoom lenses. 

In my experience, the AUTO selected min. speed limit is very conservative, and with any IS lens you can set it for 2 or 3 stops lower than the auto set limit.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Isn’t there a screen in the Orange menus that allow you to set the range of values that are available for shutter speed and aperture value?  I would set something there, and then save the settings in a custom shooting mode, so that you can go back to using the “standard range” of settings whenever you need to by simply switching out of the custom shooting mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Personally, I have grown fond of setting the camera to M mode and ISO to Auto.  For me, this gives me the greatest amount of flexibility when shooting.  It reminds of shooting with film, where I would only dial in an aperture value and a shutter speed.  Sometimes, I would use the automatic aperture, but not that often.

Shooting in M mode with ISO Auto also reminds of when I was shooting with film and wishing I could change the ISO speed of the film, but I couldn’t change ISO until I finished the roll of film.  Now the camera can adjust the ISO to whatever shutter and aperture I am using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lotus7
Rising Star

It sounds like you have done what you're asking, i.e.: setting a lower shutter speed limit.  Why does that not do what you're trying to achieve?  It will keep shutter speed from dropping below your minimum acceptable range.

The R5 has an adjustable minimum shutter speed limit setting that functions in Aperture Priority and Program Modes.

In typical Canon fashion, it's "hidden" where you might not expect to find it.  Go the the Camera (Red) Menu-2 and select ISO Speed Settings:  That will, of course let you set a fixed ISO speed, or set limits on the auto selected ISO ranges.  However, at the bottom of the ISO speed menu is an item called "Min. shutter spd."  There you can set a MANUAL absolute lower limit (1/2000 down to 1 second in 1-stop intervals) for the Av or Program auto selected speed, or possibly even better a dynamically adjusted min. speed limit (via the "AUTO" setting) which is calculated using a reciprocal focal length formula with a user specified +/- 3 stop offset. That setting works quite well if you're using any native Canon RF zoom lenses but probably won't work with 3rd party zoom lenses. 

In my experience, the AUTO selected min. speed limit is very conservative, and with any IS lens you can set it for 2 or 3 stops lower than the auto set limit.

Greetings, Ford1958

Per your inquiry on setting a minimum shutter speed when in the Av mode, I would agree with the information that Lotus7 has provided. Please check those settings to see if this helps you with your street photography with the EOS R5 camera.

Announcements