cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 firmware 1.7.0 to 1.8.1 problem

WilliamPlunkett
Apprentice

I have a R5 with 1.7.0 currently installed.  I have downloaded the 1.8.1 update and placed it on a formatted CFExpress card.  ( I'm on a Mac with Monterey 12.6.2)   When I put the CFExpress card in the camera and go to the Firmware menu item it shows that I have 1.7.0 and when I try to update it I get the message "Firmware older than ver 1.7.0 is on memory card.  Delete old file and update using later version".   

The firmware file I placed on the CFExpress card is EOSR5181.FIR

Interestingly if I look at the file info of the .FIR file on the computer it says the Date Created is March 12, 2023 and the Date Modified is March 9, 2023.  Seems it was modified before it was created.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill Plunkett

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Using a SD card was recommended for prior updates.  It looks like v1.8.1 (might) allow either card type now.  Its not spelled out specifically like it was previously.  I always use a SD card for firmware updates.  Did you format the card in camera before copying the .FIR file to the card?

I'd remove whichever media card is not being used for the update. The error you are describing usually means the camera is seeing an earlier copy of the FW.

We see this most commonly when the EOS utility was used previously to download FW.  If you don't use a freshly formatted card things can "stick around".  The "one card" inserted rule always seems to work.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Is "EOSR5181.FIR" the only firmware file on your card?

I wouldn't expect the modification date to cause this issue, but one way to update the modification date is via Terminal using the "touch" command.

On your Mac, launch Terminal

At the prompt, enter in touch followed by a single space (don't press Return/Enter yet)

From the downloaded Firmware DMG file (mounts on your Mac's desktop as a volume named "eosr5-v181-mac", single click on the EOSR5181.FIR and drag it to the Terminal window.  This should paste in the path (see attached image).  Then, press Return or Enter.  This will set the modification date to be the current date/time.  It will not affect the contents of the file at all.

terminal_touch.jpg

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

WilliamPlunkett
Apprentice

Yes, the 1.8.1 file is the only file on the freshly formatted CFExpress card.  Like you, I don't think the modification date is the problem.  I just found it a little interesting....

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Using a SD card was recommended for prior updates.  It looks like v1.8.1 (might) allow either card type now.  Its not spelled out specifically like it was previously.  I always use a SD card for firmware updates.  Did you format the card in camera before copying the .FIR file to the card?

I'd remove whichever media card is not being used for the update. The error you are describing usually means the camera is seeing an earlier copy of the FW.

We see this most commonly when the EOS utility was used previously to download FW.  If you don't use a freshly formatted card things can "stick around".  The "one card" inserted rule always seems to work.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WilliamPlunkett
Apprentice

Changing to the SD card fixed the problem.  Thank you so much.

Bill

Announcements