cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 feature request option to disable touch autofocus

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I understand some people want to have touch autofocus on the LCD screen.  However, I am constantly ruining pictures by inadvertently touching the screen before taking a picture and moving the focus location.  I would like to see an option to turn this off so the focus location always stays in the center of the screen.  If you want to move the focus point there are several ways before taking the shot.  Again it would be a setting option so those that want it could keep it.

14 REPLIES 14

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I posted about this previously.  I personally don't use my camera with the LCD exposed (folded in) on the back of the camera, and only ever use it open, so I have never had a problem hitting the screen with a finger, my nose or face, etc.  Its always intentional, but I understand why someone would want to see while shooting LCD "tucked in".

shadowsports_0-1666812792132.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That is exactly what I do with my flip screen camera bodies, close it up when not in use.  It helps to keep the screen clean from face and nose rubs.  I also have the [LOCK] option set to disable touch control.  Touch control just means more smudges.

BTW, isn’t the rear screen supposed to blank itself when you bring the OVF up to your face?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

*SNIP*

"BTW, isn’t the rear screen supposed to blank itself when you bring the OVF up to your face?"

As Rick said, it does it quickly and, for me, isn't distracting. But it depends on how you have "Screen/viewfinder display" set up in the wrench 3 menu and where you have the rear LCD view set while toggling the Info button.

I like the rear LCD set to Info, so I toggle to that. My wife, on the other hand, likes it blank and that is where she keeps hers. I keep the panel exposed so I can get a quick glance at what I have set, especially at night since the top LCD needs to have its light turned on and I end up fumbling around in the dark trying to find the light button. I have "Screen/viewfinder display" set to "Auto 2 (auto switching)" and it seems to work well for me, but you can set that up to your liking. I'm pretty confident in my settings, so I rarely use the rear LCD for previews, but I do from time to time have to "Chimp", LOL!

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

If you have it set to display the [INFO] screen of your choosing, then folding it closed will turn it off.  But, opening it back up will display your [INFO] screen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Waddizzle,

It does, quite accurately I'd add.  There is a rather large sensor right below the EVF.  Once it senses proximity the LCD gets disabled.  For whatever reason I don't have the issue and like you, keep my LCD closed 95% of the time.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements