cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 error 70

papinoland
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

just bought a new R5 and what a disappointment. 

I keep getting ERROR 70 messages and camera will freeze. I must say this error pops up only while shooting photos but works perfectly for shooting video.

I have read and searched for solutions and have so far replaced the battery, exchanged Canon lenses and restarted the Camera. I have tried every solution I have found on Canon website and the web, but the error keeps popping up every single time. 

I have read that maybe updating the firmware to Ver. 1.8.1 might resolve the issue but that specific firmware is for the R6 and is not available for the R5 so im not sure if I should go this route.

Canon dealer says Im on my own with this and Canon support is non responsive.

Canon support have yet to come up with a response. Im so frustrated. Please, if anyone knows how to fix this ERROR 70, 

Thanks everyone for reading

Papi

10 REPLIES 10

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

As with most error codes, which are often cryptic and mean little to most users, this one seems to be a communication error (judging from my research). That could mean comm. with the lens/adapter, memory card, or whatever. Personally, I would start the return or repair process as that seems to be the solution that has worked for others with error 70 on the R5. **However, I have very little patience and if my brand new expensive device didn't function properly, it would be sent back, but that's just me, LOL.**

BTW, updating firmware for a camera that is malfunctioning isn't a good idea. Also, current f/w for the R5 is v1.9.0, but I don't think that is your problem.

I will add that I have been using the R5 for almost three years with none of the problems that some others have had. Maybe Imma lucky man 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

thanks for the fast reply. You have beat Canon support so far.

I know I should be starting the return or repair process asap, it's just that I really needed the new camera since I was replacing a long overused EOS 5D Mark IV. 

I will refrain from updating the firmware till I hear from Canon support for now.

thanks again

@papinoland wrote:

thanks for the fast reply. You have beat Canon support so far.

I know I should be starting the return or repair process asap, it's just that I really needed the new camera since I was replacing a long overused EOS 5D Mark IV. 

I will refrain from updating the firmware till I hear from Canon support for now.

thanks again

You are very welcome, I'm just sorry I couldn't be of more help. Someone else here may have a solution, but it looks like you covered most of the bases. The only thing I didn't see you mention was a factory reset, which sometimes works when things run afoul.

The 5D mark IV is also what I replaced with the R5, and I still use it. I've had it for years and it's still going strong 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

"Canon dealer says I'm on my own with this and Canon support is non responsive."

If I may ask, which Canon dealer hung you out to dry? Also, did you register your camera to start Support?

Newton

I did register the camera on the website. I really hope to hear back from the support team soon. I purchased the camera from a local photo supply store here in Houston, Tx. 

Thank you for that info! Please keep us updated.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You're in good hands with Newton.  I'm surprised an authorized dealer isn't interested in helping you.  For no other reason than your return business.  Thats one of the best parts of establishing a relationship.  I live near SF and all of the great camera stores have since shut down.  The shops that are left are mostly thrift oriented like a garage sale.  I understand its hard to stay in business.  High rents, and online sales really hurt local business.  

What does "on your own" mean exactly? If you haven't past the stores return period, I'd insist that they help you. 

New battery, new SD / CF Express B card (formatted in camera), full reset of main and custom settings, used with known good Canon lenses, then retest.  If the error continues, the onus should be on the retailer, not you.  I'm with Newton.  If the store you purchased from cannot or is unwilling to resolve, return the camera.  If they won't take it, dispute the charge (if you used a CC).

Canon does have an excellent warranty, but it doesn't sound like you've got any "real" use of your new camera without massive disappointment.  This is not the type of experience Canon wants any customer to have.  I'd call the dealer and get this camera back in front of them for resolution if possible.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thanks Rick

The dealer issue is being taken care of. He too, apparently is going out of business and the return process is at risk of being completed in time before the curtain falls on him. Im sure something good (I hope) will happen with Canon support. Been a Canon guy since the times of the EOS 650, the A2 and before those 2 and have always been loyal and happy customer. 

I was enthusiastic about the new camera and it didn't working threw me out of my confort zone. Im an old school photo guy and was going to experiment with my first mirror less body. guess I will have to wait a few weeks before that happens.

Found out this community a few years back and thought about giving myself a chance and ask if someone had the answer for this error 70 and spare me the trouble of having to return the R5.

Papi

@papinoland wrote: 

"I was enthusiastic about the new camera and it didn't working threw me out of my confort zone. Im an old school photo guy and was going to experiment with my first mirror less body. guess I will have to wait a few weeks before that happens."

Papi, please don't get discouraged with this setback, just take a deep breath and take it in stride 🙂

I'm also "old school" and started photography in the early 80's with a Canon A-1 and AE-1 program, then the EOS ELAN II, so I shot film until my first digital, the EOS Rebel XSi in 2008ish, and worked up the line to the 5D mark IV. I started using the MILC's and RF glass about three years ago with the R6. It just keeps getting better, so once again, don't get discouraged. I assure you, you will be amazed.

Newton

Announcements