cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 cannot connect to my Mac via usb cable

hungphan90
Contributor
Canon EOS R5 cannot connect to my Mac via usb cable. There I tried many cables (Canon, TetherTool, UG) and another Mac but the problem is not solved.

Here are some ways I have tried:
- Try other cables (Canon, TetherTool, UG) 
- Try another Mac
- Turn off all apps
- Update the latest firmware and Utility
- Update the latest MacOS

Sometimes It connected successfully when I had turned off the Dropbox Apps. But now it can't connect no matter what I tried. I tried my Canon 90D and it still connected perfectly.

Please help me!
29 REPLIES 29

RandyT
Apprentice

I echo your frustration @louisetatton...

Just look at Canon's software distributions. They look as if they were written in the 1980s. Huge delays releasing software to work with Mac M1. I am so done with Canon. My 5DSR will be going up for sale. Never again Canon.

This is the cost of poorly investing in your software development. I can only imagine how bad the firmware is on these cameras...

rleckie
Apprentice

This is so frustrating.  I have tried all of the things in this thread - many times.  Sometimes resetting the MacBook's USB ports helps - but currently nothing seems to work.

I hope some of this might help.

It is different between Intel CPU and Apple Arm64 CPU. For Apple Arm64 CPU, there is a security setting for enabling USB devices. With Intel iMac which I have, this menu does not exist, so I deleted the Canon software, removed the directory where it had been, powered down iMac, booted iMac, downloaded the software from Canon again, and installed the new download. I was assuming that some permissions are only set during software install and not preserved during macOS update.

I had to do the same with an Android file transfer app that also uses a USB cable.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/EOS-Utility-3-not-detecting-EOS-5D-mark-iv-in-Mac...  

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/EOS-Utility-3-not-detecting-EOS-5D-mark-iv-in-Mac...

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4678618 

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I’ve given up with Utility and paid £299 for capture one with live view without any of the issues 

Thanks, but have tried all of those without success.  I am using MBP (M1 Max processor).  OS 13 and now 14.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

My question: Who makes all those USB cables? Probably made by a few companies overseas.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

rleckie
Apprentice

I may have found the cause of my USB conflict and hopefully yours too - is anyone else using BackBlaze cloud back-up?  Here is the email I sent to Backblaze support and also to Canon support (who have been useless as reported here).  Hopefully between them and Apple, they can resolve the conflict.....

As reported to Backblaze and Canon support.....

==========================

I have been pulling my hair out for some time over a problem where Canon’s EOS Utility would not open when my Canon R5 was plugged into USB-c on my MacBook Pro (M1 Max) laptop.  Cannon support have been no help because they just say something else must be using my 3 USB ports.  I tried resetting the USB ports and many other potential fixes - to no avail.  I am 2 weeks into a month long trip and had not plugged in my 2 external drives for back-up in  while, so I did this morning after wondering if Backblaze could be tying up the USB ports looking for my drives (and hence blocking the camera connect software.
Well, I plugged in my two external drives into two of the 3 USB ports and then my Canon USB connect cable into the third USB port.  Turned on the camera and… it opened EOS Utility and was able to download directly from the camera.  😀

So, I believe I have identified a USB conflict between BackBlaze, Canon and Apple.  Backblaze is somehow tying up the ports even when no drive is connected.  Strangely, this problem does not exist when I use Apple’s Camera Connect software to connect my Canon R5 over USB.

There are many other users I have seen in Canaon community chats saying they are having the same problem getting their images downloaded.  I am going to share my findings with them and also with Canon.

Can you please escalate this to your engineering team to be investigated - and if necessary work in cooperation with Cannon and/or Apple?

======================

I don’t use Backblaze so this can’t be the reason I have not been able to connect: since I bought Capture One, I have had zero issues connecting. Canon Utility is just rubbish and not fit for purpose. No one should have to do everything suggested here just to connect, it’s ridiculous!! 

@louisetatton wrote:

I don’t use Backblaze so this can’t be the reason I have not been able to connect: since I bought Capture One, I have had zero issues connecting. Canon Utility is just rubbish and not fit for purpose. No one should have to do everything suggested here just to connect, it’s ridiculous!! 

Capture One does not sell cameras, but Canon does.  

The Canon apps work until Apple releases an update.  Canon is not the only camera manufacturer that rides this merry-go-round with Apple.  It is not in Apple’s best interest for the FREE camera manufacturer apps to work properly.

Apple would much rather see you buy a new camera from Apple, in the form of an iPhone.  Apple would also like for you to purchase aps from the App Store, on which htey make a commission for everything that is sold.

Apple’s business model is to lock customers in to only buying and using Apple products.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe this to be a BackBlaze caused issue, not a Canon software issue. Their program is tying up the USB ports, so how will Canon fix that?

Announcements