cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 cannot connect to my Mac via usb cable

hungphan90
Contributor
Canon EOS R5 cannot connect to my Mac via usb cable. There I tried many cables (Canon, TetherTool, UG) and another Mac but the problem is not solved.

Here are some ways I have tried:
- Try other cables (Canon, TetherTool, UG) 
- Try another Mac
- Turn off all apps
- Update the latest firmware and Utility
- Update the latest MacOS

Sometimes It connected successfully when I had turned off the Dropbox Apps. But now it can't connect no matter what I tried. I tried my Canon 90D and it still connected perfectly.

Please help me!
29 REPLIES 29

I work with food too. This is absolutely disaster for us. 

Turn off Dropbox apps and all apps related image (preview, photoshop, finder...) before connecting the camera. While tethering, you can open these apps later but remember to turn off them all when connecting again (change battery, memory card...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

So turning off Dropbox as I suggested previously resolved your issue?

I've tried these ways before from R5 Facebook community. But sometimes it doesn't work so I came here to find better solution 😞 

So annoying! These cameras are aimed at professionals and priced accordingly. This is a very basic function, I don’t understand why it’s such a hassle. I will do as you say and hope my next shoot is less stressful. Otherwise the camera will be going back.  

I have tried eveything, its still not working... I have a job today and can't tether my camera!

BoneDetective
Apprentice

Nothing is working for me, either.  I used to be able to connect with all of my other Canon cameras, but not with R5.  This is infuriating.  Wifi is too slow.  I've tried turning off Dropbox and any other app that might feasibly interfere, but nothing is working.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you turn off Wi-Fi in the camera? USB won't work with Wi-Fi enabled.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have Canon EOS Webcam Utility installed? That program seems to interfere with Canon EOS Utility.

The wi-fi was not turned on in the camera, and I do not have the Webcam utility installed.  

louisetatton
Contributor

Hi, just an update to let you all know that I went through this issue this morning with cannon support. Everything was tested and confirmed working and up to date in terms of camera firmware and mac software.  All apps switched off. Both camera settings checked. We tested my (previously working) 5d3 with a new seperate tether tools cable and my brand new r5 with another new tether tools cable. Both connect fine to Image Capture and direct with Lightroom. The issue is Cannon Utility software. Please contact Canon support and complain. The more people that do this, hopefully they will fix the software glitch. There is obviously a massive problem but nothing is being done about it!

Announcements