cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Video Very Slow to Focus

Rjmedia
Contributor

My R5 is 5-6 seconds to focus with my rf24-70 and my rf35mm. My R7 is very fast almost instant.

I have the focus settings as fast as they can be and  but makes no difference. AF and Servo are enabled, single point focus or people tracking makes no difference. It focuses immediately with the backbutton focus pushed but in video mode, it should be focusing automatically like the R7.

Focus works it just takes for ever to get a focus even in bright light. Like I stated, the R7 kicks its ass in the same environment.

Anyone else having this issue with the R5?

I haven't used the video in a couple of firm updates but I do remember it being much faster when I bought it a year ago.

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Perhaps some setting that was changed is affecting things. Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.  See page 803 of the User Manual for details.  

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Anonymous
Not applicable

The manual states that there is a video servo focusing speed setting in the menus. See page 454:

Screenshot 2023-09-25 095839.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

After re-reading his post, I'd go with Ricky's suggestion, since he's said he has "the focus settings as fast as they can be".  There are pros and cons to using BBF depending on your preferences.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey guys. I have the same problem on my Canon R8. I use it 90% of the time for photography but I end up doing some video work. When I bought it in May, it was working perfectly, however, I did the 1.1.0 software update and now when I went to use it to film, the focus is horrible, it takes many seconds to focus and I noticed that some options in the AF3 menu disappeared. I've already reinstalled the software and reset the camera to factory settings but nothing helped. I've already tested it with my 3 RF lenses but none of them work in video mode. When I'm in photography mode, the focus works perfectly. I don't know what else to do, I really wanted to downgrade to version 1.0.0 but I can't find the firmware. Thank you all.

@Anonymous wrote:

hey guys. I have the same problem on my Canon R8. I use it 90% of the time for photography but I end up doing some video work. When I bought it in May, it was working perfectly, however, I did the 1.1.0 software update and now when I went to use it to film, the focus is horrible, it takes many seconds to focus and I noticed that some options in the AF3 menu disappeared. I've already reinstalled the software and reset the camera to factory settings but nothing helped. I've already tested it with my 3 RF lenses but none of them work in video mode. When I'm in photography mode, the focus works perfectly. I don't know what else to do, I really wanted to downgrade to version 1.0.0 but I can't find the firmware. Thank you all.

Please start a new thread for your issue so that it can receive the visibility it deserves.  it becomes VERY confusing to discuss different issues involving different camera bodies with different people on the same thread.

Thank-you, for your understanding and cooperation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements