Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 + RF100-500 = camera freezes

docusync
Enthusiast

Hi Canon Crowd,

Wondering if anybody experienced this.

I was shooting a scissor-tailed flycatcher in TX, warm weather around 85F, and the camera started acting funky.

It was freezing like every minute or so, countless times. Every time it restarted by itself wihin ~10 seconds after freezing. I pulled a battery a couple of times but it didn't solve the problem. Luckily I didn't miss anything but the whole experience was very annoying.

I was shooting in the full electronic mode, and my battery level was around 3 (out of 4) bars.

The camera and the lens are running the latest fimrware (1.3.1 and 1.0.9).

I've seen a few of lock ups in the past (mostly with the 200/2 via an adapter), but it wasn't that bad.

I'm wondering if it's a common problem and/or I should contact CPS?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

docusync
Enthusiast
12 REPLIES 12

docusync
Enthusiast

Looks like I'm not alone: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/EOS-R5-freezes-unable-to-take-picture-then-suddenly-comes-bac... and the only solution is to contact Canon...

@docusync wrote:

Looks like I'm not alone: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/EOS-R5-freezes-unable-to-take-picture-then-suddenly-comes-bac... and the only solution is to contact Canon...

Could it b a memory card issue?  

I seem to remember Tony Northrup saying that he had to stop using a certain brand of CFExpress memory cards because they were causing problems with their R5 cameras, which they were testing.

On average, how long does it take for the camera to freeze once you start using it on a new day. Could it be overheating

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle Yes, I also thought to blame the card, but then I realized the problem doesn't happen when I have other lenses on the camera. 95% of the time I shoot the RF85DS or regular RF85 and I never saw a lock up with these two (tens of thousands of frames). I have a few more RF lenses but I don't have enough statistics on those. As I mentioned I saw it a few times with the 200/2. The 600/4 III I got from CPS for a week didn't have this issue.

Overheating - could be, but yesterday it was the same "warm" TX weather, and I shot around a thousand frames with the 85DS with no issues whatsoever (also full ES mode). The camera was not under direct sunlight though. I had it (and the 100-500) under direct sunlight before, for many hours mounted on a motorized gimbal, but it wasn't shooting in the full ES mode.

So far I suspect the 100-500 + full ES mode is the cause. I didn't contact CPS yet - will do it when I'm back home.

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

P.S. This might help too: in the description of the R5 firmware update of 4/14/21, one of the fixes is:

"#9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards."

@Wandalynn I got that firmware (1.3.1)... I have a backup SD UHC-II card and I'm going to try it this week.

@docusync wrote:

@Wandalynn I got that firmware (1.3.1)... I have a backup SD UHC-II card and I'm going to try it this week.

The problem seemed to be brand specific, and Northrup reported issues with the CF Express card, not SD cards.

@Waddizzle that's why I want to try with an SD card to cross out CFexpress entirely. My primary card is Delkin Devices CFe 1Tb. I doubt it will change something, since my problem is more like a lens/camera, but you never know... I'll keep you guys posted here.

Surftim714
Contributor
I'm having this problem when shooting waterpolo outdoors with my 200-400 1.4x L lens, with EF to R adapter. Shooting JPG only, and to SD Cards. I've returned the camera to CPS and they replaced several components, but still experiencing the problem. I don't have this problem shooting football, but there is more downtime in football between plays than in waterpolo.

@Surftim714 wrote:
I'm having this problem when shooting waterpolo outdoors with my 200-400 1.4x L lens, with EF to R adapter. Shooting JPG only, and to SD Cards. I've returned the camera to CPS and they replaced several components, but still experiencing the problem. I don't have this problem shooting football, but there is more downtime in football between plays than in waterpolo.

I do not own the camera, but I would expect that you would get some type of warning, flashing icon if the camera were overheating.  Flashing icons in the viewfinder and Live View displays is how th camera calls for help.  Pay attention to them, if they ever appear.

Announcements