cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 LCD has gone blank

vegaexploration
Apprentice

Hello and thank you in advance for any help! 

I have had my R5 for over 2 years with no issues. The other day, I turned it on and no LCD display. I believe it to be a setting issue because the LCD screen is still able to display the "Keep the lens cap on after you turn the camera off" and sensor cleaning icon when the camera is powered off, which I believe means the LCD screen is still functional with power and can still receive signal from the processor. The camera functions perfectly fine through the use of the VF otherwise. 

After combing through forums and posts, I have tried the following: 

I cycled through the Info button for the 6 different display modes knowing that one of them is "Screen off", but no luck.

I have always used different EF lenses with my Canon brand EF/RF adapter with no problem, but still took the time to switch out different lenses, and even borrowed an RF lens to see if that was an issue. 

I used the viewfinder to go through the Menu to SET UP3, to "Screen/viewfinder display" and went through all the different options there (including Screen only, and took an embarrassing amount of time to figure out that I can close the LCD to regain VF function). I also moved the LCD in various positions on each setting. In AUTO1 (screen only) meaning it shouldn't switch to VF if the LCD is open, that is the case... except if I secure the LCD to the body with the screen facing outward toward me... it will still switch to VF with the LCD in that position on that setting. Also interesting is that if I'm in Menu mode in the VF, pull my face away, and touch the screen in a specific spot, I look back in the VF to see that where I touched the screen is where the highlighted selection in the menu is, registering my touch as if the menu was displayed on the LCD when I touched it (except it wasn't, obvi). 

In the Menu, I also went to SHOOT7 to "Shooting info. disp." and then to "Screen info. settings". I tried a combination of checking the first 5 options and unchecking the 6th "Screen off" option... as well as just unchecking all options except for the 1st or 2nd option.

I also put it in Manual mode and brought up C. Fn3 and selected "Clear customized settings". Then went to C. Fn5 and selected "Clear all Custom Func. (C.Fn)"

I also went to SET UP5, to "Reset Camera", and reset both "Basic Settings" and all available options under "Other Settings".

I even tried turning the camera off, removing all accessories, lens, SD card, battery... and flipped the On button. I then turned it off, put everything back, and turned it back on. (I'm not sure if there was a specific amount of time the camera had to be on without the battery for it to power cycle/reset).

If there's anything else anyone can recommend to try, if a setting was accidentally changed, or some exterior button was pushed in error, anything... I'm game to try it out.

Firmware is Ver. 1.8.1, please let me know if any other info is needed. 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

While looking into the EVF.  Go into menus and reset the camera.  Also, make sure the rubber eyecup is properly seated. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your reply! As I wrote above, I went under SET UP5 and reset the camera with both "Basic" and "Other" settings.

Ensuring the rubber eyecup was properly seated was something I hadn't thought of, but I did check it now and appears to be in good working order.

@vegaexploration wrote:

Thank you for your reply! As I wrote above, I went under SET UP5 and reset the camera with both "Basic" and "Other" settings.

Ensuring the rubber eyecup was properly seated was something I hadn't thought of, but I did check it now and appears to be in good working order.

I suggest that you contact Canon Support.  Your camera may need a repair.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/service-and-repair 

[EDIT] If there is cable plugged into the HDMI port, remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We assume you are using an OEM battery.  Have you tried toggling the "Q" button?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements