cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 - Any way to always have the Quick Control menu on screen?

snapetom
Apprentice

Howdy, I just got an R5.  I was wondering if there's a setting to have it mimic my old 70D's behavior.

1) Screen shows the Quick Control menu when my eye isn't on the EVF.

2) Screen goes blank when I put my eye on the EVF.

99% of the time, I have the screen display towards me, but not swung open.  If that makes sense (like a fixed screen in the T7).  I played around with "Wrench -> Tab 3 -> Screen/Viewfinder display", but none of the settings do what I want.  When camera is pulled away, I find the live view in the screen distracting, and the menu being the viewfinder only neuters it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

snapetom
Apprentice

Ok, figured it out.  Using the Info button, you can cycle through all of the screens available.  One of those screens is the QC menu.  You can just leave it there and it will show/hide when you raise and lower the camera.

You can toggle all of the available displays on and off via Camera Icon -> 7 -> Shooting Info Display -> Screen Info Settings.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

snapetom
Apprentice

Ok, figured it out.  Using the Info button, you can cycle through all of the screens available.  One of those screens is the QC menu.  You can just leave it there and it will show/hide when you raise and lower the camera.

You can toggle all of the available displays on and off via Camera Icon -> 7 -> Shooting Info Display -> Screen Info Settings.

Thanks for figuring out a solution. Ideally, it would be better if Canon brought back the previous design you mentioned with having the QC screen appear upon one press of the Q button. I have an R3, but it seems to work the same as the R5 regarding this feature. I don't know how effective it will be to submit feedback to Canon, but I'll try. 

garymak1
Enthusiast

Hi, I have an R5 but I can understand what you are asking.  (Since I don't have a 70D, I also don't know what that does.)  

Basically, when the screen rests in well in the back of the camera facing out, you can have the viewfinder/screen settings set to:

a) screen only,

b) viewfinder only, or

c) switch out from the screen to the viewfinder when you put your eye to the viewfinder (and when you take your eye off the viewfinder, the image goes to the screen.)

However, if you pull the screen out from the back of the camera (i.e., tilt it) you won't be able to see the image through the viewfinder in #c above. There is no setting to allow that. I think the logic is that with the screen sticking out, it's a little awkward to put your face to the back of the camera and most people wouldn't.

Personally, I leave the settings as per #c above, and turn the screen back in facing inside the camera and just use the viewfinder most of the time.  It save some battery, too.  Then, if I need to use the screen (like for low level shots or such) I simply reverse it (so it faces out but still sits in the well) a/o swing it out.

Not sure if that answers your question as I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking... sorry. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Forget Quick Control.  Canon DSLRs had the unique ability to use the rear LCD as a real time exposure setting.  Neither Nikon or Sony are able to do it.  It looked like the QC screen, but it was actually a real time display of your settings.  

I have found this “feature” very useful when shooting from a tripod, instead of having to use the top LCD.  Use the [INFO] button display camera settings, but also disable blanking the rear screen when the shutter is half pressed.  

When the shutter is half pressed, the [INFO] display will come alive as a real time display of exposure.  Every displayed setting can be adjusted with the correct button setups.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

When shooting in Manual *with* Auto ISO, I used to be able on my dSLR to access the Exposure compensation setting with one press of the Q button (assuming EC was selected when Q was last pressed)... then turn the dial to increase/decrease the exposure compensation. Two steps.

With the R3 (and sounds like the R5), as far I I know, there is no custom button to bring up exposure compensation. The +/- button doesn't work either in Manual mode with Auto ISO. Page 136 of the Advanced user guide provides several methods (control ring, shooting menu, QC) which are not satisfactory for my use case. I prefer to shoot with the LCD in the closed position and cannot tap the exposure level indicator and I have an EF lens and EF/RF adapter without a control ring. 

In addition to the method posted by the OP, I leave my menu on a My Menu tab that has exposure compensation selected. So I press the Menu button, then hit Set to activate the exposure compensation menu, then dial up/down. It's three steps instead of two, but sometimes it's that split second that determines whether or not you got the shot. And if I venture to another part of the menu, then it's more navigation back.

Yes, I can access shutter speed, ISO and aperture with dials, but not exposure compensation specifically for Auto ISO. However, if you or anyone can direct me to a button that can be customized to directly access exposure compensation, I and all the other R3/R5 users who are searching for this ability would be most grateful. Hopefully it exists and we just need to be educated.

Thanks.

I program the [SET] button on my DSLRs for Exposure Compensation.  Try it.  It is a total game changer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the tips which gave me some ideas. Although my use case is different than the OP's, I'll mention what I ended up doing in case it helps someone else. I decided on using the Quick Control Dial 2 for exposure compensation (or ISO for full manual). The bonus is the ability to make adjustments without having to first press a button before rotating a dial. It's even faster than the original Q button method I used previously. Having said that, the Quick Control Dial 2 is not available on all models.

Announcements