cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 unable to shoot RAW Burst

Tele23
Contributor

Hello. I have got my R10 camera for about 3 months now and I have noticed that the RAW Burst mode doesn't work. Whenever I fully press the shutter button, the photo frame flashes indicating that it's taking pictures, but the buffer doesn't fill up. When I let go of the shutter, the buffer turns red and if I press any buttons it says "Busy". After that, the camera is locked in that state and I can't do anything unless I pull the battery out and insert it back in. It doesn't bother me a lot since I can't imagine myself using that feature a lot but it makes me think my camera may be faulty. Any ideas? Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specific SD card are you using?  Most important aspect will be the sustained write speed and one good way to get that info is to look at the V-rating (e.g. V30, V60, etc).

There are a number of cautions/warnings related to RAW burst mode on page 286 in the User Manual.  Perhaps you experienced one or more of them.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

my sd card is a 128Gb Kingston Canvas React Plus which is V90, UHS-II. I don't think the SD card is the problem as it works perfectly when taking regular photos, even at maximum speed. Also I am not experiencing anything that is stated in the manual, which leaves no other explanation to this behavior.

RAW images can be quite large.  So even with a V90 card, you're only really guaranteed sustained 90 MBps writes.  So if an average raw is 30 MB, that's 3 per second.  If burst captures much more, or the file sizes are larger, that should be filling the buffer.

I see the manual states that a single .CR3 file will be generated that will represent the set of images captured.

I'm assuming that you formatted the card before testing this feature?  If the card is fragmented, that will not allow the feature to work correctly.

--
Ricky

I formatted the card a lot of times in-camera. Should I format it on a desktop instead of in-camera?

No, in camera is good.  Perhaps choose to format with the low-level format as well.

--
Ricky

I always do it low-level. I really think it's a problem with the camera itself.

Only other thing to try is reset all camera settings back to their defaults.  There could be some setting that is interfering with RAW burst.

--
Ricky

I'll try that some time. I don't want to lose all my settings but it's worth a try I guess. Thanks.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Also, make sure that you only use full size SD cards.  The micro-SD cards that require a plastic adapter are not recommended because the adapters make them highly unreliable.

Be sure to only purchase major brand SD cards from reputable vendors.  Amazon is not the best place to shop for camera accessories.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements