cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 Lens stabilization feature request

Tele23
Contributor

I have used an EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS with my R10 for quite a while until I recently upgraded to an EF 70-200 F4L IS USM and I love it, it's an amazing lens. One thing is bothering me though, and that is the way Canon mirrorless bodies work with IS lenses. It bothers me that the IS is always active whenever the sensor is active. This can cause wear to the IS system and also drains the battery unnecessarily. I think Canon should provide an additional option in the IS (Image Stabilization) menu along the lines of Continuous IS. When turned on it would handle IS like it does right now, but when turned off it would handle it like a Canon DSLR would, that is only turning the IS on when you half-press the shutter button or the BBF button. I think it's better to let people decide if they like it more either way, instead of forcing it like this. This should be done on all mirrorless bodies from canon, not only the R10. I really hope someone from Canon sees this, it's really bothering me (and other people as well). Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The problem is if IS was turned OFF while looking at the rear LCD screen or the EVF. The image would be very shaky. It would be hard to track subjects in the frame. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I am aware of that, but I sometimes use mine with the IS completely off and it's not hard to compose or track subjects like that. Also aren't you usually focusing on the subject while tracking it? That would keep the IS on (on a DSLR, or if my request was added to the firmware), so I don't see why it would be a problem. It's just about unnecessary battery consumption and IS wear when IS isn't necessary. Thanks.

Mirrorless and DSLR cameras work differently when it comes to IS. Also DSLRs in live view keep IS active at all times. Unless IS was turned off. Also IS may stay active upto 1.5 minutes on a DSLR depending on the lens. So even releasing the shutter button on a DSLR doesn't completely stop IS.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I understand. Didn't know about the live view thing. Why do other camera brands keep the IS off until half pressing the shutter? They have EVFs as well. I still think there should be an option to disable this pretty much canon-specific behavior.

I believe every other camera system works that. Except Sony since they only have IBIS. They don't make stabilized lenses. 

-Demetrius

Sony makes lots of stabilized lenses (those that have OSS in their name). They also combine IBIS and the lens stabilization like Canon does to achieve even more stops of stabilization. Yet they don't stabilize without half pressing the shutter button.

The lens needs power for stabilization to work. I know that Minolta/ Sony A Mount only had 3 stabilized lenses. Then Minolta went to IBIS in its first digital bodies. So they discontinued those lenses. Now for the E Mount I thought it was IBIS only.

-Demetrius

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Correct me if I am wrong, but there should be a setting in the camera that disables AF when the metering timer expires.  When the AF is disabled, this should also disable IS in Canon lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What do you mean by "disables AF"? Also, when the metering timer expires, the IS stays on (I know this isn't what you said but I wanted to leave that info here)

Announcements