cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick control and Autoreview problems

globalmd
Apprentice

Hi all,

I have been loving my rebel t5i for the past several months, but have just started having a weird problem with the quick control screen and the autoreview features. It's strange, but when I push the Q button while in viewfinder mode, it doesn't pull up the quick control screen any more. However, the Q button works fine on image review and while in live view mode. Also, after taking a photo, the image no longer pops up for view automatically, though it pops up just fine when I push the review button.

Anyone else dealt with this problem? Since the button appears to be fine and the LCD is fine, I can only think of the accelerometer as a problem since I think this controls both of these. Any other thoughts or advice? The camera is only 3 months old and I got it through the ritz camera amazon store.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority
Hi

There are settings in MENU that control how long the image displays after you take a shot. Offhand I am not sure what setting might make the "Q" button behave differently though it sounds vaguely familiar.

Try the easy way out and just reset all settings to default. It is one of the choices in the tabs you see when you go into the MENU. Hopefully that works.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried restoring the camera settings without correcting the problem. But, it did prompt me to try disabling the LCD auto-off feature, and it's back to normal. So, now I think the problem is with the LCD auto-off. It just flickers and goes off instead of showing for the appropriate time length. Considering how new it is, I think I'll probably have to send off for warranty. Anyone know how often they replace with a refurbished product and not a new one?

One last thought.

On some cameras, there is a little sensor near/above the eye cup called the Display Off Sensor. Yours has one. It senses when you have the camera up to your face. It shuts the LCD off. Sometimes the little thing gets dirt, makeup over it, or padded eyecup slips and covers it, or the camera strap covers it while on tripod sideways, and it thinks you have the camera up to your face, and the LCD shuts off.

See if maybe that could be it? Clean the little sensor, then enable (un disable? Re-enable?) the display shutoff you disabled. It might work.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

edna_million
Apprentice

This exact same thing just happened to my Rebel SL1 - and disabling the LCD auto-off worked for me too. Not a long-term solution since now the display stays on while the camera is on, but I'm very glad you posted that. I kept thinking it was something I'd accidently turned off or on, although I didn't see how.

I'm getting ready to email Canon about it - I've only had it since June. I also got mine through the Ritz Amazon store. I really really love mine too-- that's the first problem I've had. 

Announcements