cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about R50 settings

fotofan
Apprentice

Just got the R50, which I am exploring and enjoying. But there are two settings which I am used to from my other Canon cameras that I can’t find:

1. ISO increments. The ISO button does ⅓ stop increments, but I really prefer 1-stop. While page 797 of the manual references "⅓ or 1 stop increments" for ISO, I haven't been able to see where one would change this. On the R5 it's with the customizations.

2. Still image magnification. On the R5 there is the option to get the magnify button to directly jump to 100% while looking at an image, rather than incrementally zooming in. This allows for quickly checking for focus. On the R50 I can't find such a setting.

Are these settings available on the R50?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The note on page 799 (that's the page I found it in the User Manual), is perhaps a copy-paste error from another product? The main topic on ISO settings on page 198 only mentions 1/3 stop increments.

Magnifying the image (page 443) seems to not have any customization.  You'd need to cycle amongst the 1x, 5x and 10x values.

Note that the more entry-level cameras often will not have customizations found on the higher-end models.   So not too surprising that those settings you have on the R5, are lacking on the R50.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Perhaps you’re not in one of the Creative Shooting modes.  The Basic Shooting modes do not present all available menu options.  Switch to P, Tv, Av, or M to see all menu options.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the response. I am in Av mode. Just checked other modes, same result. Also checked movie mode just to be sure.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The note on page 799 (that's the page I found it in the User Manual), is perhaps a copy-paste error from another product? The main topic on ISO settings on page 198 only mentions 1/3 stop increments.

Magnifying the image (page 443) seems to not have any customization.  You'd need to cycle amongst the 1x, 5x and 10x values.

Note that the more entry-level cameras often will not have customizations found on the higher-end models.   So not too surprising that those settings you have on the R5, are lacking on the R50.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos, I suspect you're right. Which is really unfortunate.

While I can understand reducing hardware capabilities on lower end models as a way to manage cost, settings like ISO increment values or default magnification could just be made available, behind the customization settings if needed, as a way to keep them out of the way for beginner users. The camera does provide customizations for a number of other settings which don't seem any more relevant than these.

Thanks.

Good Lord! An 810 page User's Manual? That has to be a lot more camera than I'll ever need. Way, WAY out of my wheelhouse. 😮

My sympathies to anyone who buys one of these as their first "real" camera. For the rest of you, well more power to ya! 😁

Announcements