cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protective Screen ?

Philomath
Contributor

As I am going through the manual testing my new EOS 80D it occurred to me that I should get a protective screen for the LCD panel.

So I started reading reviews of such screens and I found this...

"I used to go through these like cupcakes, I would at least break 2 or 3 each season; I finally said that's it! How much can I spend replacing these things. Well, not long ago I bumped my camera into something and I cracked my LCD screen (at least that's what I thought at first). I got home I looked at my LCD with great sadness and all of the sudden I had a Eureka moment. It turns out the Canon cameras come with a protective screen and what I have cracked was not the actual LCD but the Canon's protective screen. I was spending all this money to protect the protecting screen. I called Canon and it turns out the original screen that was on my 5d is half of what the xxxxxx costs. I think a lot of people place these on their camera thinking that it protect the LCD but in fact it was installed on the original protective screen which is way stronger and more scratch resistant. I think there is a slight misunderstanding on the part of xxxxxx; it should say it is a replacement for the original Canon protective screen if you want a part that's not an OEM. I guess you learn something everyday. Hope you guys find this review helpful."

Can anyone here tell me if this is true for the 80D, that there is already a protective screen on top of the LCD ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

As far as I know it's TRUE for all the Canon DSLR's.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I scratched my 5D3 LCD glass and the whole LCD TFT screen unit has to be replaced. There is no replacement part for just the glass.

On some older or lower models, the LCD plastic protector can be replaced if the display is till functioning. Not sure about your 80D though.

Ray-uk
Whiz

Pretty much all of the more recent models have a bonded screen protector that is not replaceable. I know this applies to the 7D2 and I would imagine the 80D would be the same.

A cheap phone screen protector (the flexible film type) works well as protection against everyday knocks and scuffs. If you repeatedly break the rigid screen protectors then I would suggest you need to start handling your camera a bit better.

Yes, 80D has a bonded glass LCD protector.

According to https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II.aspx ,

The solid structure Clear View II LCD's reinforced glass cover and clear filler eliminates the air gap between the glass and the LCD under it. The benefit is less glare, enhanced clarity (especially in a bright environment), better color and increased strength.

The 80D has one other advantage. The view screen can be turned toward the camera when not in use. I have often wondered if fixed screens are more prone to breakage being so exposed. My Olympus E20 N has a movable screen but it is always facing out. It only tilts.

There's some folks who aren't that impressed with the articulated LCD screen. But since having that feature on my G5 and 60D I almost consider it to be a "must have" item. When not in use, flip the screen toward the body and you're good to go. Even protects it from scuffs in your camera bag. And at no additional cost you also get a waist-level and overhead viewfinder as part of the deal! Smiley Very Happy

Some of the newer cameras have touch screens. I'd think that would affect what protection the screen has or could accept.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

lly3988,

I only see the fixed screens mentioned in the article, can you please quote where it mentions the 80D or vari-angle screens?

Thanks

@Philomath wrote:

lly3988,

I only see the fixed screens mentioned in the article, can you please quote where it mentions the 80D or vari-angle screens?

Thanks

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-80D.aspx
Announcements