shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Gerald Undone - Youtube Review of R5 and R6

https://youtu.be/qDXPiu3wpBs

R5/R6 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

2 REPLIES 2

Detective-T
Apprentice

Yes it is very informative but not complete. Canon is definitely  hiding information,  they are intentionally holding back their camera with software.
New discoveries have found that the real problem for the camera are the cfexpress/sd cards in the camera!  These cards initiate the temperature timer in the camera Giving you the limited said recording time by canon. But recording  externally with out the cards in the camera you actually trick the camera from overheating limit issue that become the biggest problem with virtually every R5 user.

The cfexpress card slot and sd card slot makes the camera heatup more so in the card slots more than the whole camera.  Yes we know that a lot of data is being pushed but that still doesn't explain why this limits the camera recovery time and record time. The slots are either faulty and canon needs to do a recall or canon needs to optimize the software to work with the new media and remove the limits and bad recovery time. Period

The cat is out the bag! I tested this with my own R5 there is definitely something going on here ! 

youtube NOLIFE

Pt 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnG00Fhu5pI

Pt 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_xqX4_Qe9E

Greetings,

Yes.  More video's have revealed what is now believed to be the real limitation.  Who would have known the CFExpress slot (type b) would generate so much heat. Its unfortunate.  The latest wave of videos now suggest using external storage to combat the issue. 

Thats like sticking a boom box in the back seat instead of using the car's stereo...  because oh, it might overheat.  I am hoping a FW update can help or resolve.  Great camera, but if you want GPS, you'll need a module, and now to use HQ video for any length of time, you'll need external storage.  Personally, this is not how I envision an upgrade.  It feels more like a compromise.  I hope they figure it out.  I have plenty of gear to carry around without adding yet another piece of equipment to make my camera work "reliably".  I want something I can hold in my hands without cables, tethers or added modules .  For some this might work well, but not for me. It would detract from the "new camera" experience.    

Edit:

I watched about 2 minutes of your first video.  Set up looks like a spaghetti factory.  Cables coming out of the body and screen in all directions.  Mounted on a tripod in a studio under controlled conditions.  Lets take that same set up outside on a sunny day.  For a video photographer, maybe that's great...  but I'm not lugging that stuff around. 

My camera often goes in and out of its bag, especially when its wet or rainy.  It may get tucked under a jacket if I have it on a Black Rapids sling.  What will I have?  A mess and a bunch of cables wrapped around me that might get bumped or disconnected when I'm walking around.  Let's see how long the ports and jacks hold up having all lthat gear plugged in and moving around.

I'm sure this will be great for a lot of people.  I'm just not one of them unless there is a better solution.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements