cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Menus Display on Screen on Mark IV

hexonxonx
Contributor

I am brand new to this camera and I just got the camera today and unfortunately I left the manual at my house that I moved from today so I don't have one.

How do I get the picture that I want to shoot to display on the screen. Right now it stays dark unless I display the menu or other settings.

Also, no matter what SD card I try in this camera it says no card in camera so I can't even format it. It's just not seeing it. I can't format it on my computer because I have a Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There are many examples on this forum where microSD cards in adapters don’t always work. Try a full size SD card to eliminate that variable.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Go to Canon's website and download the manual: HERE If you have specific questions after that, feel free to come back with them.  From what you say I suspect you are talking about LIVE VIEW MODE.  Check the manual for that.

It is a good idea to get used to using the viewfinder, rather than the LCD at the back to shoot with, as putting the VF to your eye gives you a third point of support (that's why tripods have 3 legs, after all).

How_to_hold_a_camera.jpg

You should never format a card for a camera with a computer.  THe format could be different and then the camera will not recognize the card.  Always format the card in the camera.

@hexonxonx wrote:

I am brand new to this camera and I just got the camera today and unfortunately I left the manual at my house that I moved from today so I don't have one.

How do I get the picture that I want to shoot to display on the screen. Right now it stays dark unless I display the menu or other settings.

Also, no matter what SD card I try in this camera it says no card in camera so I can't even format it. It's just not seeing it. I can't format it on my computer because I have a Mac.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Danny

Hi, heronxonx!

We currently have two different EOS camera models designated as "Mark IV," specifically the EOS 5D Mark IV and the EOS-1D Mark IV.  So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using.   That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Mine is the EOS 5D Mark IV.

I got the image to display on screen so I just need to figure out what is going on withe the SD cards and why this camera won't recognize any SD cards I put in it.

@hexonxonx wrote:
Mine is the EOS 5D Mark IV.

I got the image to display on screen so I just need to figure out what is going on withe the SD cards and why this camera won't recognize any SD cards I put in it.

Do you have the lock switch on the SD card switched to "Lock"?

Is it a full size SD card or a microSD in an adapter?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The switch is set to unlock. The cards work in a Nikon camera perfectly.

I have 5 micro SD cards inserted in an adapter. Again they work fine in a Nikon. I did search the net for this problem but none of the solutions wokred.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There are many examples on this forum where microSD cards in adapters don’t always work. Try a full size SD card to eliminate that variable.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm heading over to BestBuy to get a few SD cards. Hopefully this works so I can take some pictures this weekend. Thank you.

hexonxonx
Contributor
I bought both an SD card and a CF card. Both are in the camera and working perfectly!

It's been many years since I had a camera like this. I started with photography back in high school. Took two years of photography back when film was the thing and learned how to develop and process my own prints. I had an old Pentax camera back then that had a light meter on top of it. It was good times.

@hexonxonx wrote:
I bought both an SD card and a CF card. Both are in the camera and working perfectly!

It's been many years since I had a camera like this. I started with photography back in high school. Took two years of photography back when film was the thing and learned how to develop and process my own prints. I had an old Pentax camera back then that had a light meter on top of it. It was good times.

I know what you mean. Smiley Happy  I harken back to the early 1980's when I began my journey.  Then it was Canon A-1 and Nikon F3 cameras with off the film metering, which was much easier than what you experienced!   

The new DSLRs are amazing units, but will take a bit of getting used to.  The good news is that the basic elements of exposure remain the same.  These days you can alter your ISO between individual shots.  I personally set mine to change automatically for most situations: the built-in algorithm will use the lowest ISO for theTv/Av you choose - which makes things somewhat easier. Also, you can use ISO values of 6400 and not get too much noise - the latest sensors go way past that, but I tend to stick to lower values.

If you want to engage with a supportive and positive community that has some highly-skilled photographers who are happy to provide constructive feedback, and an excellent set of tutorials on digital photography (it's free).

www.cambridgeincolour.com 

Check your local library's on-line catalogue for an item called LinkedIn Learning.  If there is a listing, that gives you free access to an otherwise costly site that contains a huge number of tutorials on all aspects and levels of photography given by skilled photographers and talented educators.  Otherwise look for the same thing on Google and you get a free month's use.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements