cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off brand battery messed up my Rebel T5i screen?

ChristSlayer
Apprentice

Had my T5i since 2016, no issues. I used a ReFuel offbrand battery for 2 months no issues. 2 nights ago im filming and i noticed my camera screen turned off after I was done. The camera was warm but not scolding, like those hand warmers you buy during winter. I thought the battery died but when I accidentally hit the record button it beeped indicating that it was saving a recording

Then i tried turning it on and off and the Movie switch turned it off while the off position turned it on and picture switch turned on to video mode! The next day i tried it and the switches are proper again but now the LCD screen turns on but off after 5 seconds!

No i dont have “auto LCD off” enabled and I never have. So what happened to my camera? Why is the LCD turning off after 5 seconds is there any fix?

I cleared default settings and everything. I tried testing my external monitor via HDMI and it worked no issues but I want my screen to work again.

What couldve happened to it does anyone know of a fix?

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The battery may have caused damage to the camera.  You can try a genuine Canon battery, but it sounds like you need a camera repair, or a new camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Obviously discontinue use the ReFuel battery.

I only use Canon and Watson battieries and only buy from Canon or B&H.

There isn't much you can do.  Resetting was good, battery pull, good.  

Use an OEM battery.  If the camera doesn't work properly after that, it may require service.  

I've taken my camera into hot weather 100* and also have an easy cover on the body.  No issues.  I often use a black rapids sports breath so the camera doesn't stay cupped in my hands.  My camera has gotten warm, but never like the hand warmers... you described.  Then again, we all have a different idea of what is hot (or warm).

If the above doesn't help, and the camera is not behaving normally or as expected, I'd start here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair/servicelocation

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements