cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 11 computer doesn't recognize EOS 7d via USB

kvon
Apprentice

I've installed EOS utility from the CD ROM - same version as what ran on the previous computer without issue.  No joy.  What does it take to get these 2 devices to talk to each other?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No drivers are needed for your camera to be detected as a mass storage / imaging device.  When you connect the camera to the computer, what happens?  Do you hear a detection sound?  Does the camera appear in windows explorer?  The camera came with a Canon IFC-200U USB Interface Cable. Is this the cable you are using for connection?

**Edit - Please disable Wi-Fi if its enabled**

Are you connecting it directly to an available USB port?  You should not use a hub or adapter.  I would also avoid installing ancient software from a CD you got with a camera released in 2009.  Current software is available here:

Canon Support for EOS 7D | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

What version of EOS Utility do you have installed?  My 7D is only recognized by EU 2.  EU 3 does not recognize it.

kvon
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I got it fixed - it was the USB cable. So apparently there's something special about a Canon USB cable...?

The step-by-step was pretty painful though. I didn't expect it would require drivers to be installed but when I plugged it in and nothing happened, followed by reading in one of the (many) Google searches that you should install the EOS Utility drivers first, that's where I went.

My first inclination was to find a newer version in lieu of the "ancient software" that came with the camera. But there is NO "EOS Utilty" software available to download from the Canon website, only 3 different software applications that look like a whole bunch of stuff I don't need. Finally found an EOS Utility v3 on a 3rd party website - downloaded & installed that, and like @normadel I found that it also doesn't recognize my 7d - in fact, doesn't even support USB, only wireless.

Then I found someone online with the same problem, and when they switched to an authentic Canon USB cable... voila. Things that make you go "hmmm...."

Anyways, now I'm just venting - spent way too much time on this, for such a simple solution.

Thanks again.

“ Thanks for the replies. I got it fixed - it was the USB cable. So apparently there's something special about a Canon USB cable...?

Canon USB cables typically include RF noise blocking baluns.  These are the little cylinders you see on the cable about an inch or two away from the USB connector.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

normadel
Authority
Authority

1. A genuine Canon USB cable is NOT required here. I use any A-to-Mini B cable I have with no problems. But yes, a cable can go bad, even a genuine Canon cable.

2. Don't know what "drivers" you mean. It does not take any added software just to get the camera to show up in Windows. If you have a good cable.

3. What do you mean by "it doesn't even support USB"? That's an odd statement. The 7D doesn't have WiFi. With a camera that does, turning it off will enable use of EOS Utility by USB.

4. Yes, it is unfortunate that Canon does not make EOS Utility available to download. I saved 2 (Version 2.1.1)  and 3 from CDs that came with cameras.  I'm happy to share it. There is an Updater for 2 to Version 2.14.20a which I also have. I don't remember what specifically it does, but I always use it after I install EU2 CD version.

kvon
Apprentice

All I can tell you is that when I swapped in the "authentic" Canon USB cable it started working. But then again - In the past I have routinely used any random USB cable to connect the camera to the computer to download images, AND for tethered shooting. Same camera, different computer - never had any issues until now with the new computer.

About the WiFi / USB - when I had the v3 utility installed the only option listed in the main app window was WiFi transfer. Of course it was grayed out because like you said, the 7d doesn't have WiFi. But in retrospect the v3 utility might have done the transfer if I'd had the "correct" cable connected.

I think you're right about not needing any special drivers for this - to test, I may try uninstalling the EOS Utility and trying again with the good cable.

Thanks,

Announcements