cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Photography. Question about settings.

clark77494
Contributor

I just purchased a Canon EOS Rebel T5 to do Real Estate photography. For outside photos I want to set it to ISO 400, f/5.6 and let the camera determine the shutter speed. On the inside I want to set the camera to f/7.1 ISO 200 wih no flash, and also let the camera determine the shutter speed. I have a tripod so slow shutter speeds should not be a problem. I have a 18mm-55mm lens that came with the camera. I have two years video production training so I know how to setup a motion picture camera, just never took stills except with my Iphone.

53 REPLIES 53

"What happens to my photos if I end my membership?"

You are a trusting man!  This is Adobe you are talking about.  You must be pretty new to Adobe stuff?

You are probably correct about using LR.  But certainly not about PS and .psd.  Saving as a .tiff or .jpg is the safest way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"What happens to my photos if I end my membership?"

You are a trusting man!  This is Adobe you are talking about.  You must be pretty new to Adobe stuff?

You are probably correct about using LR.  But certainly not about PS and .psd.  Saving as a .tiff or .jpg is the safest way.

As far as Lightroom goes, I use the Copy function which moves my CR2 files from the cardreader to the harddrive and adds them to the Lightroom database. If I stop using Lightroom tomorrow, my CR2 files can still be read by any other program that reads Canon RAW files. Photoshop files can be saved in older formats, if needed. My daughter has Adobe Creative Suite 5, but, used Creative Cloud for her senior year in college. Rather than continuing her CC subscription after graduation, she just saved her CC files locally using a CS5 compatible file format.

Once the photos are tuched up I don't need to do anymore with them. Since the contractors change flooring and carpeting all the time I need to re shoot the house. If my subscription expires I will simply use another progam. Real Estate Photos are short lived.

Clark,

"Photoshop hasn't been available as a stand alone purchase for several years."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photoshop Elements is available as a stand-alone program, and is very good for working on files, one at a time.

Lightroom can do 99.9% of what probably needs to be done to real estate photos.  If a photo needs to be worked over in Photoshop, then it probably just simply needs to be reshot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Can Lightroom do masking like this photo? I was hiding the camera. Not a very good job. But not hardly noticeable.Photo 14 before.jpgPhoto 14.jpg

@clark77494 wrote:

Can Lightroom do masking like this photo? I was hiding the camera. Not a very good job. But not hardly noticeable.Photo 14 before.jpgPhoto 14.jpg

Negative.  Lightroom does not alter image content, just the appearance of the content: brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.  But, there are freeware applications that can do it.  One is called GIMP, which seems fairly sophisticated.  I like PaintDotNet because I have used it for years and years, and it is easy to learn and use.

"Can Lightroom do masking like this photo?"

"Negative.  Lightroom does not alter image content,..."

Yes it can.  It has the Spot Healing Brush.  It is not as good as PS but it does work.  I could take that camera out of your photo.

As shot.....

_52D4462.jpg

Edited in LR.........

_52D4462_2.jpg

Then to PS for this.............

_52D4462_3.jpg

If you never care about opening your photos again go ahead and make a lot of rent receipts.  But you just might use the camera for other reasons besides work.  Just make sure you don't save anything to .psd.

Nobody mentioned .cr2 files so I don't know why that was even brought up.  The .psd files are the issue.  Saving as .tiff or .jpg is the safest way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Can Lightroom do masking like this photo?"

"Negative.  Lightroom does not alter image content,..."

Yes it can.  It has the Spot Healing Brush.  It is not as good as PS but it does work.  I could take that camera out of your photo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it can do spots.  What you so cleverly "healed" is much more than spot removal, which is how the tool is normally used.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Then to PS for this.............

_52D4462_3.jpg

If you never care about opening your photos again go ahead and make a lot of rent receipts.  But you just might use the camera for other reasons besides work.  Just make sure you don't save anything to .psd.

Nobody mentioned .cr2 files so I don't know why that was even brought up.  The .psd files are the issue.  Saving as .tiff or .jpg is the safest way to go.

That's a rather nice use of Photoshop, but you overdid it. You won't get me to believe that she could have bent her leg low enough for her foot to have made that splash.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"That's a rather nice use of Photoshop, but you overdid it. You won't get me to believe that she could have bent her leg low enough for her foot to have made that splash."

Psst, and it's amazing how there is no reflection of the sunset on the water, either.

Announcements