Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New R5 — RAW vs./and/or HDR?

catsongs
Contributor

Aloha from Honolulu,

I just upgraded from an 80D to an R5.

I went for the R5 to better photograph fast-moving birds in flight.

The R5 seems to have RAW and HDR settings?

If my goal is to track a fast-flying bird across the sky, do I want multiple HDR shots? They seem to go to JPG, but I am used to working with RAW.

I'm obviously confused about something, but not sure what!

Can someone help?

Mahalo!

Cat

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. You don’t need to shoot any differently with the R5 compared to the 80D. Just shoot RAW. 

HDR is a technique where images are recorded at different exposure values and combined to increase the dynamic range of the image. Only useful for static scenes. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Aloha!

Mahalo for your response.

So I basically turned OFF most of the HDR settings I could find in my settings. (Don't know why they were on, but perhaps they were default settings?)

It's night here, but the indoor test shot I took seemed fine, and I didn't get the 3x experience and the BUSY response I'd gotten earlier, as the HDR went to the card.

Is that right?

Mahalo again!

Cat

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ So I basically turned OFF most of the HDR settings I could find in my settings. Don't know why they were on, but perhaps they were default settings?

Negative.  HDR mode is not a default camera setting.  

Did you purchase a used camera?  If so, then I strongly recommend that you go into the menu system and FULLY reset the camera back to its factory defaults.  You want to begin using the camera with all of the settings in a known state, not whatever state the previous owner may have left in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

catsongs
Contributor

Again, THANKS!

Announcements