cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EOS R50 - Outdoor photos are way overexposed

Sadie16
Apprentice

Hello All!

I just purchased a new EOS R50 and outside of A+ mode I am struggling to get good images.  I upgraded from an EOS T2 so I am familiar with the basic settings.  For the most part I prefer aperture mode which should be choosing the correct shutter speed for the aperture.  HOWEVER, all of my outdoor photos (the only I have really tried) are way over exposed.  I 100% believe this is user error.  None of the settings on the touchscreen make any sense to me.  At one point I was completely stuck in timer mode and couldn't figure out how to back out of it.  Is there a good YouTube or other source for tutorials?  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Sadie and welcome to the forum:
I would recommend as a starting point this video:

If that is insufficient then here is a list of video I found with a quick search:
eos R50 tutorial - YouTube

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I highly recommend watching videos on the exposure triangle on YouTube. Since you're in Av Mode you're adjusting the lens' F/ stop or iris opening. Usually this is displayed as F/ (insert number). A few examples are F/1.8, F/4 or F/16 the bigger the number the less amount of light enters the camera. This will also change the depth of field in your pictures too. Using a small F/ stop such as F/1.8 will have a very blurry background (bokeh) compared to F/22 which will have everything in the background in focus. Then there is shutter speed which is usually expressed as 1/xxx this is usually a fraction. For instance 1/500th or 1/2000th of a second. A slow shutter speed such as 1/60th of a second will show motion blur. But a fast shutter such as 1/2000th will freeze a waterfall. Then ISO is the image sensor's light sensitivity. This is usually anywhere between ISO 100- ISO 64,000 for example cameras may differ on max ISO. ISO 100 provides cleaner images than ISO 64,000. ISO 100 or 200 would be used outdoors. But indoors a higher ISO is used such as ISO 800, 1600 or higher.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Sadie16,

When you put your camera in Av, or aperture priority mode, what are you doing with your ISO?

Is it in Auto ISO, or do you have it fixed with a real high number?

Try and learn how to adjust your exposure compensation - raising it up or down to make your picture darker or lighter as you look at the screen prior to taking your shot.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd strongly encourage you to download a copy of your User Manual.

They will come in .pdf format, and you can use the search function in Adobe Acrobat to look for answers to specific questions.

Steve Thomas

Announcements