cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise on new lens for Canon EOS Rebel SL2

debaroo
Contributor

I currently have an EFS 18-55mm lens, an EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens and a Vivitar 420-800mm F8.3 (manual) Super Telephoto lens.  I am wanting to invest in a new lens for my camera and I mostly take closeup wildlife or flora photos.  I also like to take landscapes.  I am considering a stronger telephoto lens, so that I can take closeup pictures at a further distance or a wide angle lens for more panaramic landscapes.  Any suggestions or recommendations.  I can only afford to get one or the other in the near future, however I would love to hear what others would recommend for both and why.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It looks like you are covering about everything from 18mm to 800mm. That doesn't leave a lot not covered does it?

" I mostly take closeup wildlife or flora photos."

I suspect from this you mean you take very close to the flower shots and very far from the animal shots? If so, you could add a true macro lens like the ef-s 60mm. Unfortunately there isn't a good remedy for "close ups" on animals except to get closer. And in such you don't need any additional lens.

Just a thought and MPO, the Vivitar 420-800mm F8.3 Super Telephoto lens is a poor, very poor, choice of tele lens.  If I were you that is what I would replace first.  Check out one of the current super zooms from Tamron or Sigma in the 150-600mm class. You'll be amazed at how much better those "close ups" of animals will be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You are asking about a series of lenses - a whole lens kit - not a single lens.

What shot did you miss because of your current set of lenses?

I would suggest the EF-S 60mm macro. It would be good for close-ups of flowers and landscapes.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It looks like you are covering about everything from 18mm to 800mm. That doesn't leave a lot not covered does it?

" I mostly take closeup wildlife or flora photos."

I suspect from this you mean you take very close to the flower shots and very far from the animal shots? If so, you could add a true macro lens like the ef-s 60mm. Unfortunately there isn't a good remedy for "close ups" on animals except to get closer. And in such you don't need any additional lens.

Just a thought and MPO, the Vivitar 420-800mm F8.3 Super Telephoto lens is a poor, very poor, choice of tele lens.  If I were you that is what I would replace first.  Check out one of the current super zooms from Tamron or Sigma in the 150-600mm class. You'll be amazed at how much better those "close ups" of animals will be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

debaroo
Contributor
My close ups of flowers do not seem to be as good as my closeups of birds. I normally take my closeups of birds at least 10-15 ft away. My closeups of flowers tend to be much closer.
Announcements