cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My R8 won't delete photos from the camera card

nicolaikabana
Apprentice

I just got my R8 so I'm still trying to learn where everything is. I go to view the photos I've taken and I wanted to delete some test photos. I click the trash can button like I have with my last Canon camera. Once clicked the screen then reads "sending" but I have no clue where it is trying to send it. Once the message disappears the test photo is still there. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Is there a setting that I don't know about stopping it from deleting? I used the camera card on my other camera and the delete function works as normal. 

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Make sure the write protected switch is off. If its on it will prevent you from deleting or taking pictures.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

It lets me take pictures though so would it still possibly be on?

Usually no. Are you using a Full Sized SD Card or a Micro SD Card in an adapter. DO NOT use a Micro SD Card in an adapter. These are known to cause problems with the camera. The camera was designed to use Full Sized SD Cards directly. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I am using a mini in an adapter. That might be my issue. I'll have to order a full size and see if that fixes the issue. Thank you for your help with this so far.

Stick with Full Size Class 10 SD cards. Buy multiple smaller SD cards such as 32GB or 64GB. DO NOT buy 1 large 128GB or 512GB SD Card. If the card fails you lost all of your pictures. If you use multiple smaller cards than you have some of your pictures. Its better than losing all of your pictures. Buy SD Cards from reputable retailers such as B&H Photo, Adorama or any electronics store. DO NOT buy SD Cards from Walmart or Amazon Marketplace. There have been cases of counterfeit SD Cards from there. Also stick with well known brand names such as San Disk, Lexar & Prograde Digital. The SD Card below is a good choice.

images.jpg

-Demetrius

nicolaikabana
Apprentice

So it wasn’t the card type at all. After talking with Canon and resetting the camera. A message came up saying about do you want to continue sending 100 something photos. Once I clicked no and turned the WiFi off on the camera I was able to delete fine. Now the camera runs with both mini and regular sized cards. 

I would avoid using micro-sized cards with adapters; they will lead to nothing but trouble.

I also do not agree that one must only used smaller-sized cards.  So up to you if you'd rather use multiple lower-capacity full-sized SD cards, or a high-capacity full-sized SD card.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements