cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EOS R refuses to take a photo whenever it isn't focused.

SamuelGong
Contributor
I can't seem to take photos with my EOS R in low-light conditions. The reason for this is because it cannot focus. My camera doesn't want to take a photo when it's out of focus. I used to have a problem like this on my 80D I had borrowed from a friend, but then I fixed it in the settings. I don't remember which setting it is that allows you to take photos when you are not in focus. I am on manual mode using SERVO AF on release priority. I would've thought release priority solved it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Please reply immediately as I am going to shoot tomorrow morning. To sum up my problem, I need my camera to be able to take photos even if it isn't focused.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SamuelGong wrote:
I'll explain the scenario here. I go out late at night to shoot star trails. The camera can't focus because it's too dark outside. If I put it on manual focus, the result is very blurred as the focus is not responsive.

If you are doing star trail or astro photography what you really want to do is focus on an "infinity" subject in the daytime using AF. Then switch to MF and tape the lens focus ring with gaffers tape so it can't move.

A less dependable option (only becasue you may not be able to find a subject) is at your photo location try and find a bright object like maybe a building in the distance. Focus, switch to manual and tape lens (or be careful not to touch focus ring).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens are you using? Most should have an AF/MF switch.  Switch it to MF.

For the issue when not being able to focus in low-light, what focus point are you using? The center point itself will often have the best capabilities to lock onto focus even in very low light (EV -3 or darker for some cameras).

I think you may be also able to use an on-camera flash just for the focus-assist capaiblity?  Haven't tried that myself.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

SamuelGong
Contributor
I am using a 24-105mm f4 lens. It's the one that comes with the kit. I bought the camera 2 days ago. I remember on my 80D there was a setting that allowed me to take photos on AF even without focus. I am wondering if it's the same?

The EF 24-105 f4 definitely has an AF/MF switch.  Just switch it to MF to now be in manual focus mode.

Edit: Just re-read again your question... do you mean the ability to leave it on AF but then use manual focus override?  If so, that lens has full-time manual focus override.

--
Ricky

SamuelGong
Contributor
Would there be any possible way to have it take a photo in autofocus when it isn't focused?

SamuelGong
Contributor
I'll explain the scenario here. I go out late at night to shoot star trails. The camera can't focus because it's too dark outside. If I put it on manual focus, the result is very blurred as the focus is not responsive.

I'm not sure I follow the statement that focus isn't reponsive.

While I haven't ever captured a star trail, I'm going to assume you want to put the camera in manual and then focus to infinity?

--
Ricky

@SamuelGong wrote:

If you are doing star trail or astro photography what you really want to do is focus on an "infinity" subject in the daytime using AF. Then switch to MF and tape the lens focus ring with gaffers tape so it can't move.

A less dependable option (only becasue you may not be able to find a subject) is at your photo location try and find a bright object like maybe a building in the distance. Focus, switch to manual and tape lens (or be careful not to touch focus ring).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

SamuelGong
Contributor
Yes.

SamuelGong
Contributor
Ok thanks so much for your answer.
Announcements