cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon 6D mk2 will not format CARD

artrosch
Apprentice

I have four SD cards, Sandisk of various stripes, 128 through 16G.  Today when I went to the camera I got the "can't access card, format card or change card" message. No ERR, just that.  I've done all the possible research and haven't found a solution yet.  I can try buying a new card but why would that work?  I've had the camera a few weeks and really fell in love with it  Dang! Win 10 Home Pro 24G RAM, Gigabyte Mobo, i5 CPU. Help!  There are older posts on this board but they haven't helped me.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

@artsdigiphoto wrote:
The default ffile format is exFAT, just clicked on device default. Not FAT32?

The camerfa manual says device incorporates exFAT technology.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I just talked to Canon service.  I'll have to ship the camera for repair.  

As it turns out, there was a broken pin inside the card reader slot.  I have NEVER had a problem like this.  The camera was purchased via eBay.  I sent it back to the seller, who accepted my return but wanted to claim that I had done the damage.  I am still waiting my refund from eBay.  It's been about two weeks. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the cards full size SD or micro SD with an adapter? You should only use the full size cards.

Rocks
Apprentice

I get image on screen auto focus dots depress shutter half way no focusing, all the way shutter clicks. Clikck review and it says no image. Flash is supposed to be off but pops up. Set on auto, no flash, quick mode. Was working fie the last time I used it.

Call 1-800-OK-CANON

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

after a bunch of questions they they said I will conet you then I was disconected. The other time i went to the help line and got thfough the questions they said that model info is online only so another dead end.

@Rocks wrote:

after a bunch of questions they they said I will conet you then I was disconected. The other time i went to the help line and got thfough the questions they said that model info is online only so another dead end.

First, go into the menu and reset all camera settings and all custom functions. Instructions for that will be in your manual.

Then set camera to P(rogram) mode on the dial and go outside in daylight and try to take a picture.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, a few suggestions:

1. is there a camera club near you. Often if you go to a meeting someone might be able to help you. I know my club does that.

2. is there a camera store near you

3. here is the website for Canon support: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | Service & Repair

4. Midwest Camera has been recommended by some folks on this forum

5. Cameraworks of Colorado Springs has been recommended by folks on the Ugly HedgeHog site

I have no direct experience with either of them.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements