cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7D has developed a squeak during sensor cleaning

shannon76
Contributor

I have a 7d which is only a few months old now and it has recently developed the sensor cleaning squeak or chirp as some call it.  Some say this is normal because several of their cameras have done it.  Can someone who actually works on the cameras tell me exactly what is happening?  I know for sure it is the cleaning mechanism because it does it during manual cleaning.   A Canon rep told me to send the camera in to have it looked at so I could just do that but, I was hoping someone could give me the technical reason this happens and if it is really necessary to send it in.  Does it just need some oil?  lol Joking of course.

Thanks,

Shannon

3 REPLIES 3

shannon76
Contributor

Here's a recording of the squeak.

http://youtu.be/YXhI9JTHN7s

Shannon

Well, Shannon, I know from your first post you're asking for an expert/experienced opinion, but since no one has stepped in to answer your question I'd like to provide a couple of observations about the squeak issue.

First thing is this high-pitched sound during sensor cleaning is something that has gone on for years with Nikon and Canon cameras, and I can only assume with other manufacturers as well.  People report the same observation you have, but to date I haven't read a definitive answer from either manufacturer.  My take on this sound is that it is normal for the ultrasonic-type sensor cleaning that is performed by these cameras, and that not all cameras end up producing it and not all people's hearing is capable of hearing such high-pitched sound.  Anyway, the sound is most likely produced by what's called intermodulation distortion when two or more frequencies in the ultrasonic range are producing a "spur" of sound in the sub-ultrasonic range.  Do a Google search of intermodulation distortion if you want to read more on the subject.

Anyway, FWIW, I consider the sound to be normal and not damaging.  Also, I fervently wish Canon and/or Nikon would address this issue with some kind of official statement in order to put this issue to rest.

Thanks fyigmo63 for your reply.  Looks like Canon doesn't read these forums or doesn't care to answer my question.  I will take that as a possible sign that there could be an issue and they don't want to address it publicly for fear of thousands of service requests all at once.  I will just send mine in under warranty closer to winter.  Won't miss it as much then..

Shannon

Announcements